ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What to do with an SSD after it fails

<< < (3/6) > >>

mwb1100:
If you're interested in the RMA route, I'd check withe the manufacturer.  In my experience to get an RMA for a drive (hard drive or optical) all that was necessary was the serial number of the device (which provides them with a date of manufacture) and running through whatever diagnostics the manufacturer required to convince them that the drive was faulty.

I've done this a handful of times over the years and have never had to produce a receipt or other paperwork.

Darwin:
What mwb1100 said - I've RMA'd hardware without a receipt; just a serial number. Go on, give it a try!

tomos:
FWIW I was checking the warranty on a Lenovo laptop lately - it was confirmed (online and per telephone) with just the model and serial number. On that basis I got a replacement battery sent out.

Shades:
For the tinkerer (and possibly destroying your PC)...you could swap out controllers from a similar (same batch if possible) SSD and retrieve your data.

Last ditch solutions are always risky  :P

wreckedcarzz:
I'll shoot them an email later today (when it's not the middle of the night) to see what they say about an RMA. Even if they were to accept it and I get a new drive, I'm not totally sure what I'd do with it, though. Thoughts?

This still is a mostly unanswered question though; for sake of discussion, if the drive did have some crazy important data on it, would it just have to be destroyed in this situation? Is that really a real-world "solution"? What would a company's IT department do if they had amassed a group of failed SSDs with company data still on them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version