ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Java 8 Delayed

(1/1)

Tinman57:

Java 8 release delayed until next year
The new version of standard Java was due this September, but the need for more work on security issues and Project Lambda have pushed the release date back to the first quarter of 2014.
--- End quote ---

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2035692/java-8-release-delayed-until-next-year.html

TaoPhoenix:
I saw that but I sorta ignored it ... "how bad can the security be?!"

Plus I am as much of one to upgrade to new crispy version numbers, so at least they seem to be going a bit old school and not releasing "Java 8" on the heels of "Java 7.7, 7.8, 7.9". Or something. (Whatever little they can get away with!)

f0dder:
I saw that but I sorta ignored it ... "how bad can the security be?!"-TaoPhoenix (April 20, 2013, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad :D

Plus I am as much of one to upgrade to new crispy version numbers, so at least they seem to be going a bit old school and not releasing "Java 8" on the heels of "Java 7.7, 7.8, 7.9". Or something. (Whatever little they can get away with!)-TaoPhoenix (April 20, 2013, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
"Java 8" is actually "Java 1.8" :) - iirc they started this weirdness with (what whould have been) Java 1.5. Mean people might say they should've added a zero-dot prefix instead, but hey :)

Sad to see it's being postponed - Java7 was a major letdown, with not very much interesting stuff added - I miss lambdas. It would indeed be foolish of them to ship Java8 without lambda support.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version