ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Find and Run Robot - Freeze after Launch

(1/4) > >>

corneliusworm:
Using FARR 2.206.01, on Windows 7, launches immediately, but after typing one letter, freezes intermittently for a good 10 to 15 seconds, before coming back then working normally.  After it freezes trying to close the window, etc. results in (Not Responding) message in the title bar.  This behaviour occurs about 70% of the time upon launch.

I have tried adding program to the exceptions list in Microsoft Forefront, even turning that program completely off, still displays this behaviour.  I've been using FARR successfully on this laptop for 2 years, only recently it has started acting this way, but I can't tie any change that I'm aware of to the timing of this.

I've also tried the other settings from the forums to reduce chance of freezing, but to no avail.

Any further troubleshooting anyone could recommend?  Absolutely can't live without this program, now i'm hesitating to invoke it at times knowing it may freeze.

mouser:
Hi corneliusworm,

Sorry for the delay in replying!

That delay sounds like something is hanging it up.. usually this can happen when it's trying to scan a network item in the history, or a networked drive.

Does that match your situation?

The first thing to try might be to go to options and Launch History, and right click in there to clear the list.  See if that helps and let me know.

There is also an option on the "Display Options" tab labeled "Show search subdir details in status bar" -- you could try TEMPORARILY enabling that to see where it might be getting hung up.
Lastly, you might check out the botton "Shortcut Lnk Resolution" options at the bottom of the "Search Behavior" tab.

corneliusworm:
Thank you for the response.

I'm not on a network, although on occasion I connect via VPN to some resources on company servers.
I've cleared my history and it did not change it. In fact on next launch it froze after one letter typed for about 20 seconds (indicated by program title showing (Not Responding))

skajfes:
Do you have a folder with lots of files in your FARR search path?

kfitting:
Just wanted to say I've been seeing this recently as well... I checked my history and none of my network drives were in it as far as I could see.  The hang does not always happen however... so I could have missed something.

I'm not sure having a lot of files in a folder should hang the GUI??  Usually FARR just chugs along and updates the results window, not hang the entire program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version