ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Worst Javascript/other intrusions?

<< < (2/4) > >>

eleman:
Just put a yesscript button on firefox's toolbar. Right click on the toolbar, go to customize, find yesscript's button, it looks like this:

Drag it and drop on Firefox toolbar. When you feel the need to use it, just click on the button while the naughty page is open. The button will now turn to brown. Reload the page (f5) and voila.

It won't forget which sites you blacklisted, so it's very handy. If you need to delist a site, just click on the button while it's brown. It will be removed from the blacklist again, and the button will return to its original color.

TaoPhoenix:
You might be on to something Eleman.

Slate has a slider too. (I posted before without detailed checking...)

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/features/2013/daily_rituals/coffee_from_balzac_to_beethoven_it_has_fueled_artistic_endeavor_for_centuries.html

There's that coffee article again...

So this might be really nice for all the newspaper sites. It's different for email, I think I need to keep all their scripting on, but I never ever want to see a slider on a newspaper site!

Edit: This seems to work fairly well behind Ghostery. Most of the "newsy" sites I see come from Yahoo News or Fark links, so that little "white/black" icon thingie is nice! I like and believe that sometimes Simple level solutions work.

f0dder:
If you're going to block javascript, use noscript or don't bother. And it's really not that much bother once you get into the habit.

You can't really call ghostery an "adblockplus" spinoff, they do quite different (and complimentary) things.

The next step is RefControl+RequestPolicy... this does add a fair amount of management overhead for first-time visits to new sites, but IMHO it's worth it... you'll end up blocking a crapload of stuff that even ABP+Ghostery+NoScript misses.

You'll also want to turn RC+RP off temporarily if you're shopping, because it's way too much bother once credit-card handling stuff is involved... but it's really nice armor for your everyday surfing :)

eleman:
If you're going to block javascript, use noscript or don't bother. And it's really not that much bother once you get into the habit.

You can't really call ghostery an "adblockplus" spinoff, they do quite different (and complimentary) things.

The next step is RefControl+RequestPolicy... this does add a fair amount of management overhead for first-time visits to new sites, but IMHO it's worth it... you'll end up blocking a crapload of stuff that even ABP+Ghostery+NoScript misses.

You'll also want to turn RC+RP off temporarily if you're shopping, because it's way too much bother once credit-card handling stuff is involved... but it's really nice armor for your everyday surfing :)
-f0dder (April 19, 2013, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

And wear a condom at all times you surf the web. A radiation suit would also be useful. And have 3 bodyguards close by, as well as a secret service evacuation protocol.

Are you serious or are you just being sarcastic?

TaoPhoenix:

-f0dder (April 19, 2013, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm. Let's start with the clarifications. AdBlock Edge is a spinoff of AdBlock Plus. Somewhere in there was an argument that AdBlock would in fact allow "nice ads" through.

Ghostery then I agree is different, and reports-then-shutdowns misc ad trackers. Sure whatever that company is gets some data, but I haven't tried to find an OSS replacement for Ghostery yet.

So THEN, we get to Javascript. Problem is, the few times I tried to totally nuke it, some page would come along on a 1-time shot I'd wish it would work. So NoScript was bad news. I kinda like Elemon's idea - Blacklist pages that are the worst offenders. ___ Site I posted above, but apparently Slate is pretty bad too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version