ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Worst Javascript/other intrusions?

(1/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I have Ghostery, and AdBlock Edge and  which is some kind of spinoff from AdBlock. So leaving those details aside, I am still seeing worse and worse Javascript sliding ads, sometimes totally obliterating the page!

I have resisted NoScript, because that seems to take a lot of work and I think I want pages to work the first time because there's too many to pre-emptively add.

So anyway, this is a thread to vent about the sites that use the worst "sliders". (Rollovers, etc etc.)

Thread Inspirer is this:
http://www.azfamily.com/home/Black-smoke-coming-from-Scottsdale-crematory-concerning-neighbors-203695851.html
At least for me it slid a huge box sideways over the entire page.

Other ones I think I recall are some of the newspaper sites.

eleman:
Yesscript

TaoPhoenix:
Yesscript
-eleman (April 19, 2013, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh a bit terse there Eleman, but I like the philosophy and so I installed it! We'll see!

"Unlike NoScript, YesScript does absolutely nothing to improve your security. I believe that Firefox is secure enough by default and that blocking all scripts by default is paranoia. YesScript strives to remove hassles from your browsing experience, rather than add them."

Sure -there was never a security concern - just $%^$%&$& irritation!

Could take me a few days (weeks?) to really learn it though.

eleman:
I usually use it to block search assistance offered by google (don't guess me when I type words into a search box, I know what I'm looking for), or similar useless javascript junk. It's efficient, does the job well, and doesn't break the web by default as noscript effectively does.

I really don't understand why people see this as an "all or none" business. Noscript is like an a-bomb, too powerful to be of any practical use. Yesscript is more of a taser gun. You can actually use one if you need it.

TaoPhoenix:
I usually use it to block search assistance offered by google (don't guess me when I type words into a search box, I know what I'm looking for), or similar useless javascript junk. It's efficient, does the job well, and doesn't break the web by default as noscript effectively does.

I really don't understand why people see this as an "all or none" business. Noscript is like an a-bomb, too powerful to be of any practical use. Yesscript is more of a taser gun. You can actually use one if you need it.
-eleman (April 19, 2013, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice comment eleman, I caught on to the "a-bomb" nature of NoScript, which is why I didn't use it. Theoretically only some 10 sites need to be blocked, so I'll try to remember to report in when I set about config'ing that yes-script addon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version