ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Worst Javascript/other intrusions?

<< < (3/4) > >>

f0dder:
Are you serious or are you just being sarcastic?-eleman (April 19, 2013, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Being serious.

Hmm. Let's start with the clarifications. AdBlock Edge is a spinoff of AdBlock Plus. Somewhere in there was an argument that AdBlock would in fact allow "nice ads" through.-TaoPhoenix (April 19, 2013, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yup, by default ABP allows some google adwords or whatever, but there's a config option to block entirely. Can't say I don't understand the developer, and I believe it has caused perhaps a bit too much fuzz - I can certainly live with that option and its default... OTOH, perhaps things would've been worse if there hadn't been all that fuzz.

Ghostery then I agree is different, and reports-then-shutdowns misc ad trackers. Sure whatever that company is gets some data, but I haven't tried to find an OSS replacement for Ghostery yet.-TaoPhoenix (April 19, 2013, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't believe it sends data unless you enable the "GhostRank" feedback thingy? But yes, the company behind is related to the ad business, so there's reason to be wary - still, unless somebody finds out it sneaks data back home without consent, it's a pretty decent addon :)

So THEN, we get to Javascript. Problem is, the few times I tried to totally nuke it, some page would come along on a 1-time shot I'd wish it would work. So NoScript was bad news. I kinda like Elemon's idea - Blacklist pages that are the worst offenders. ___ Site I posted above, but apparently Slate is pretty bad too.-TaoPhoenix (April 19, 2013, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sure, backlisting  will take care of annoyances on sites - but IMHO that's not a very good reason to do JavaScript blocking. I use it to drastically reduce the risk of drive-by infections, you really do need whitelisting against that. And once you get into the habit, it really isn't that much bother - only need a bit of fiddling when you visit a new domain.

But hey, I also avoid Flash and Java in my main browser - if I need to watch flash, I temporarily fire up Chrome for that specific URL. I only need Java for NemID, and that steaming pile of manure(*) is only allowed to run in a Linux VM.

(*): NemID, that is - while I despise applets with lots of bileful nerdrage, Java and the JVM itself are decent enough.

TaoPhoenix:
New entry!

Career Builder has this big nasty box that slides down over 10% of the job ad you're reading! Yes, later I might "Apply now" but it's really bad design!

I am really liking QuickJS 1.1 as a fast and ruthless way to toggle that crap off and then only later if I want maybe to apply to something I can temporarily let it back on!

J-Mac:
I use Ad Muncher and neither of the sites mentioned showed any floating ads for me.   :)

Jim

TaoPhoenix:
I use Ad Muncher and neither of the sites mentioned showed any floating ads for me.   :)

Jim
-J-Mac (June 27, 2013, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had tried Ad Muncher a while back but it felt like I was getting a performance hit so I took it out again. :/

J-Mac:
Really? I haven't noticed any such hit. I do have a fairly monstrous machine though, so that might be the difference.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version