ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Coffee/Caffeine Thread!

<< < (12/15) > >>

Tinman57:
Once you have the one you will be using, it's just for coffee...you never ever put it on your feet! Just keep using it for coffee only, and over time it will make the coffee taste even better, as it ages. Yes, it will look like hell as the coffee stains it and the fibers become embedded with the residues of the coffee oils, but that is what actually makes your coffee better, I have been told. When you are done using it, you dump the grounds, turn it inside out and rinse it well, by hand. Then wring it out good and hang it to dry. Don't ever throw it in the laundry with any sort of detergent or bleach or you will end up with residues from that in your coffee.
-app103 (May 08, 2013, 03:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I would still wash it before the first use to get the manufactoring chemicals and other contaminants out.

app103:
I would still wash it before the first use to get the manufactoring chemicals and other contaminants out.
-Tinman57 (May 09, 2013, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course! But not in a washing machine with laundry products.

Tinman57:
-Tinman57 (May 09, 2013, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course! But not in a washing machine with laundry products.
-app103 (May 09, 2013, 11:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Vinegar and water should do the trick nicely....

cmpm:
Here is a couple of places I get my coffee in bulk. I buy whole bean and not preground coffees, makes for a better fresher pot.
Coffee Bean International working out of Portland, Oregon and S&D Coffee out of Concord, North Carolina. Easily found on the net for phone numbers.

From CBI, I order their Anniversary Blend, the darkest roast they have.
minimum order-20lbs. Ground or whole bean. Must be a coffee retailer/reseller. Easy to do for me, when I started ordering, I owned a business. Any business name will work.

S&D supplies me with their Traditional Blend, European Select, and 100% Colombian.
Bulk or retail is fine with them, although I am their customer under a business name.
Available by the case with 10 2lb bags, 14oz bags or cases of 1.5oz bags that make 1 pot of coffee. Ground or whole bean.

I think the dark roast blends are even better then Hawaiian Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain (the highest priced coffees I know of). Unless I can find these two in a dark roast, which is near impossible without special ordering. I'm just not up to $40 or more for a pound for coffee. I spend from $6 to $9 a pound.

I don't know about other countries, just my own, U.S.A.

IainB:
Here's something novel - How To Make Coffee Concentrate to Serve Hot Coffee to a Crowd Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn.
It's made by soaking ground coffee in cold water. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

On another coffee angle, I have just finished drinking my large mugfull of coffee, made with:

* Arabic coffee (made in a plunger).
* a dash of cold (green top) milk.
* a level teaspoon of white sugar.
* a sprinkling of hot chilli powder.- all stirred up together. It's rather yummy!    :up:
(I use green top milk as it affects the taste/bitterness of the coffee, but I don't like the taste of milk/cream in my coffee  - and green top milk is probably about as far from being normal milk as you can get, and it doesn't taste of much.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version