ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Coffee/Caffeine Thread!

<< < (11/15) > >>

Tinman57:
But one never runs out of filters when they use a permanent one ;)
I have been using one for almost 20 years and wouldn't consider ever going back to wasting money on paper filters. Imagine getting 20 years worth of filters for about $5. Not to say that anybody else end up with one that would last as long as mine. (I wash mine very gently by hand) The better ones do have a 5 year warranty, though, so even if it only lasts that long, you'd still save money and not have to worry about running out of filters. -app103 (May 07, 2013, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've got one of those permanant filters myself, but I don't like using it because it still lets the tiny grounds through.  The paper filters are so cheap it isn't a factor, like 500 filters for $2.59.

app103:
The paper filters are so cheap it isn't a factor, like 500 filters for $2.59.
-Tinman57 (May 07, 2013, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I have been known to be frugal to a fault.  :P

barney:
(I do have to wonder, however, how the cowboys managed to transport [unbroken] eggs  :huh:.)
-barney (May 07, 2013, 06:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe they didn't. Maybe they only brought some empty shells along, perhaps already washed, dried, crushed and mixed in with their pre-ground coffee. It would make more sense. Lighter, takes up less space, not as fragile, no worries of spoiling on a long trip, and a lot less fuss & bother to make while out on the trail.

And even more convenient, would have been to use the old "sock method" of brewing coffee, where one uses a cloth bag (usually silk) or a clean sock to hold the grounds, ties a knot in it and drops it into the pot of boiling water. (early permafilter technology  ;D)
-app103 (May 07, 2013, 07:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope.  They/We used broken egg shells - more or less halves - 'cause the crushed ones don't work.  You boil the coffee, then you throw in a dash of cold water - mebbe an ounce - and the egg shell halves.  The bag thing would probably work, but socks?  After a few days on the trail, there just ain't no clean socks  :o.  Ya wear the oldest used, rotationally, but they ain't clean  :'( - they're just somewhat dried out  :-\.  Serious camping don' 'low for nothin' clean  :P.

app103:
The bag thing would probably work, but socks?  After a few days on the trail, there just ain't no clean socks  :o.  Ya wear the oldest used, rotationally, but they ain't clean  :'( - they're just somewhat dried out  :-\.  Serious camping don' 'low for nothin' clean  :P.
-barney (May 08, 2013, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

no no no no no no no! Not socks you packed to wear on your feet! And by clean I don't mean washed...I mean never worn...ever. You need a coffee only sock. This is an unused, 100% mercerized white cotton sock of a very tight knit that will act as a good filter for the grounds. There is an art to selecting the right sock. It's not the same as selecting socks for your feet. A brand new white cotton dress sock with a tight knit will work well, but a gym sock is useless, as it will let the grounds right through.

Once you have the one you will be using, it's just for coffee...you never ever put it on your feet! Just keep using it for coffee only, and over time it will make the coffee taste even better, as it ages. Yes, it will look like hell as the coffee stains it and the fibers become embedded with the residues of the coffee oils, but that is what actually makes your coffee better, I have been told. When you are done using it, you dump the grounds, turn it inside out and rinse it well, by hand. Then wring it out good and hang it to dry. Don't ever throw it in the laundry with any sort of detergent or bleach or you will end up with residues from that in your coffee.

It's one of the secrets to the great coffee that some of my Puerto Rican friends made, in my old neighborhood.
The first time I ever saw one of them making coffee I thought "ewwwwww! I am not drinking that! I don't want your athletes foot coffee! Don't be so ghetto...buy some filters!" But then it was explained to me that the sock was carefully chosen just for brewing coffee and had never been worn on anyone's foot, and if anyone ever tried to wear it or wash it in the laundry, her mom would kill them because a good coffee sock is hard to find. (luckily, they come in pairs) :D

Tinman57:
The paper filters are so cheap it isn't a factor, like 500 filters for $2.59.
-Tinman57 (May 07, 2013, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I have been known to be frugal to a fault.  :P
-app103 (May 07, 2013, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ain't nothing wrong with being frugal, I was born into frugalness!   :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version