ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Coffee/Caffeine Thread!

<< < (10/15) > >>

app103:
A few vintage treats...

This Is Coffee (1961)
by the Coffee Brewing Institute

Learn the old school way for making the perfect cup of coffee.

Time for Coffee (1950)
Made possible by the cooperation of A&P

Coffee growing, harvesting, bean processing, and roasting.

Edvard:
App, those are awesome!  :-*

I'm making this for breakfast tomorrow:

Great for when you run out of filters, and I hear you can add the shells as well to cut the cloudiness. :shrug:

app103:
App, those are awesome!  :-*
-Edvard (May 06, 2013, 11:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I love old videos like those.  :-*

Great for when you run out of filters, and I hear you can add the shells as well to cut the cloudiness. :shrug:
--- End quote ---

Interesting!

But one never runs out of filters when they use a permanent one.  ;)

I have been using one for almost 20 years and wouldn't consider ever going back to wasting money on paper filters. Imagine getting 20 years worth of filters for about $5. Not to say that anybody else end up with one that would last as long as mine. (I wash mine very gently by hand) The better ones do have a 5 year warranty, though, so even if it only lasts that long, you'd still save money and not have to worry about running out of filters.

barney:
--- End quote ---

Eggshells were a common thing in the old southwest (US) to settle the grounds after boiling coffee over a campfire.  Still is, if you camp a lot.  Eggshells (left over from breakfast, of course) and a dash of cold water do wonders for keeping grounds out of your cup - until you're about two-thirds of a pot down, anyway  :P.  (Personally, I don't care for boiled coffee  :o, but it does have its place  :-*.)

(I do have to wonder, however, how the cowboys managed to transport [unbroken] eggs  :huh:.)

app103:
(I do have to wonder, however, how the cowboys managed to transport [unbroken] eggs  :huh:.)
-barney (May 07, 2013, 06:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe they didn't. Maybe they only brought some empty shells along, perhaps already washed, dried, crushed and mixed in with their pre-ground coffee. It would make more sense. Lighter, takes up less space, not as fragile, no worries of spoiling on a long trip, and a lot less fuss & bother to make while out on the trail.

And even more convenient, would have been to use the old "sock method" of brewing coffee, where one uses a cloth bag (usually silk) or a clean sock to hold the grounds, ties a knot in it and drops it into the pot of boiling water. (early permafilter technology  ;D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version