ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Coffee/Caffeine Thread!

<< < (5/15) > >>

superboyac:
Well, it's late afternoon here and I'm now sitting quietly sipping a fresh cup of my favorite afternoon blend: Gevalia's exquisite Cafe Sperl while reluctantly thinking that I really do need to cut down on my coffee consumption in general - and my caffeine intake specifically.
 (see attachment in previous post)
'Problem' is I don't do drugs. And I don't even drink that often. Plus, I no longer smoke (clean for 13 years this year!) ...so right now a good cup of coffee is about the only indulgence I still permit myself.

I'm afraid if I curtail coffee too much I'll risk losing my main rationalization for living. ;D

(Note: Switching to a decaf blend isn't the simple answer either. I've tried many, and there's a noticeable difference in flavor. And unfortunately, on blindfold tests (I told you I tried! I really did!) I've ended up favoring the caffeinated blends almost single every time.)
-40hz (April 22, 2013, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Is one cup of good, black coffee in the morning all that harmful?  That's my current schedule, and I like it a lot.  I love drinking coffee in the morning before doing anything.  I used to drink 30+ ounces a day, but that was bad (coffee headaches). 

app103:
(Note: Switching to a decaf blend isn't the simple answer either. I've tried many, and there's a noticeable difference in flavor. And unfortunately, on blindfold tests (I told you I tried! I really did!) I've ended up favoring the caffeinated blends almost single every time.)
-40hz (April 22, 2013, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried getting 2 packages of the same blend in both decaf & regular and mixing them? Start with replacing 1 scoop with decaf when you brew a pot and see how it goes. Might not be so bad that way. If it passes your taste test, replace 2 scoops with decaf next time....and so on, till you start to notice the difference in taste.

40hz:
^App - yes I did. I didn't really care for it, but I think that's what I'll eventually end up doing once I start the recommended detox routine. That takes about a month of gradual weaning to avoid unpleasant side effects and sleep disorders.

The trick will be finding some blends I like as much as Gevalia's. (I tried many brands btw.) I'll start my day with their Traditional Blend, switch to Cafe Sperl in the afternoon, and usually wrap up the day with their German Chocolate Cake.

Their Royal Vinter blends are a possibility since I liked the decaf version of those. But their cost is a little prohibitive for heavy consumption. Hmm...maybe that might help me cut down on total daily intake? It would very likely increase my overall enjoyment since any satisfaction that's limited or delayed always tends to be sweeter.  ;D

40hz:
-superboyac (April 22, 2013, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Is one cup of good, black coffee in the morning all that harmful?
[/quote]

Supposedly, that's almost ideal from what I've heard. :Thmbsup:

"The morning cup of coffee has an exhilaration about it which the cheering influence of the afternoon or evening cup of tea cannot be expected to reproduce."   ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.,

app103:
Since you like Gevalia's coffees, keep your eyes open for the limited edition Chipinge (from Zimbabwe) that is only sold in early fall...and it sells out fast. It's a higher price than any of their other stuff, but it's worth it...a rare treat. It was always one of my favorites, back when I could afford it. (They have a decaf version, too)

If you can manage to get some, drink it by itself (not with food) and savor it.  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version