ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to open a can with a spoon

<< < (4/4)

Edvard:
Tsaint, you haven't opened a can of peaches nor pears, but worms  :P

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/could-couldnt-care-less.aspx

I am with Deozaan in that I could care less, and perhaps should, because I DO care about this particular issue, perhaps more than is necessary.  But (see wut i did thar?) you are correct; couldn't care less is the proper form, although this comment from that page made me chuckle:
So essentially the British started with "I couldn't care less" and the Americans responded, "I could". That sounds about par for the course.
--- End quote ---
;D ;D

Just peachy!

tsaint:
Further OT...
Not happy,Edvard!!!! Just followed your link and my initial happiness turned to dismay when I saw that a "care less"defender wroe " It's too wide OF a word." (emphasis mine).
 English was a fairly good language - maybe not the best, but up there, until the Americans got their hands on it.
I'm going to take an aspirin and have a good lie down.

Edvard:
Hey, I'm a proud 'murrican and I get my jockey shorts in a bunch about grammar as well, even when my own mastery of the lingo is less than stellar.  Hell, that's a whole 'nuther thread there, ain't it?  :P

tomos:
Further OT...
Not happy,Edvard!!!! Just followed your link and my initial happiness turned to dismay when I saw that a "care less"defender wroe " It's too wide OF a word." (emphasis mine).
 English was a fairly good language - maybe not the best, but up there, until the Americans got their hands on it.
I'm going to take an aspirin and have a good lie down.
-tsaint (April 21, 2013, 10:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

not like yous Australians done anything funny with English - nor us Irish neither :D
Mind you, there's a lot of native (England) English speakers that most of us would have little hope of understanding. Not knocking them, I love the diversity of language and accents myself. Any attempt to pigeonhole any language can never fully succeed, so I suppose having a good lie down probably *is* the best approach to grammatic 'errors'...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version