ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Peer Review and the Scientific Process

<< < (3/47) > >>

cmpm:
let me find my ten foot pole, and maybe i could address some things...

kyrathaba:
LOL. I'm gonna end here, so you won't need your ten-foot-pole. I respect everyone's nature as a free moral/intellectual agent, capable of clinging to whatever methodologies, preconceptions, biases, etc., that they choose. I include myself among them. I can't very well argue in the Basement against self-censorship in an effort to avoid stirring up the masses with a post, yet continue to press a minority view that (both now and historically) has lead to heated/scornful reactions.

Since religious faith seems to have come into the thread, should we spiral this off into the basement and let the original thread stick narrowly to its subject? Better yet I welcome PMs on the topic of religious faith.

app103:
Since religious faith seems to have come into the thread, should we spiral this off into the basement and let the original thread stick narrowly to its subject?
-kyrathaba (April 20, 2013, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, maybe from my post onward, since that seems to have sparked it....my claim that common everyday faith, that has nothing to do with religious faith, actually exists.  :-[

kyrathaba:
I agree completely with your point, BTW: everyday faith (that chair will hold me up when I sit on it) is different than religious faith.

IainB:
Just attempting to pull this back on topic, after @kyrathaba's interesting diversion with the Science v, Faith diagram/discussion:
Where we seemed to have got to: It looks like I had established pretty solidly the case for the argument that the peer-review process was not in practice actually as much use to science audit as one might have intuitively expected (QED), and that the validity of the results of the scientific method seemed to be down to the rigour and integrity of the application of the scientific method.

Though discussions about the strength/rightness of one's personally held fantasies/beliefs can be interesting, could we please split that issue off into a separate thread?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version