ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Multiple / Selective File Associations

<< < (2/3) > >>

hamradio:
@hamradio: thank you for responding. I actually am aware of your program, courtesy of dotTech. And while it might work for files, I didn't see how to make it work for links. And its links, especially in my email program, that cause the most problems. There I want to add to the existing right-click function the names of my 2 browsers, such that I can choose to open the linked file in either browser. Am I missing something?
-BearPup7 (April 14, 2013, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

No problem and that may be a feature I try to add at some point where you can use it with normal links as well.  :)

BearPup7:
@cmpm: Well I tried it out, with no success! It installed fine, and found my default browser OK, but I couldn't get it to find IE to change the browser to. Even trying to uncheck Firefox didn't work. I guess that I'm stuck with choosing one browser or the other as my default and leaving it at that, and manually switching it as I have been doing. Sigh.

cmpm:
If you set IE (or most any browser) to default it will add IE into the list.
Then you can switch browsers from the tray.

cmpm:
Be sure to save the config file for each browser.
It may take a couple of times to test it.
After setting a browser to default close and restart BrowserTraySwitch to pick up the new default browser. Then you can switch them from the tray.

BearPup7:
@cmpm: That got it. I needed to make IE my default in order for it to register with the program. My quicklaunch icons now have an extra one which shows which browser is set as default, and lets me change it with a simple click. Not quite as efficient as having it be part of the right-click response to clicking on the link itself, but a lot more convenient than any other method I've used.

Thank you. I appreciate the posting and the program. I'm posting the info on dotTech.org for others to use. Here:  http://dottech.org/forums/advice-corner/multiple-file-associations/#p17567 . Post #9.

Not so subtle hint:  you could use this program as a template for other extensions as well, e.g., .ini, .txt, .log. Maybe even a variable program where the user inputs the extension they'd like to have default programs changeable, i.e., I might input .txt, and all extensions which use the same application for its default as .txt does would automatically be selected. For example, I'd input .txt and all extensions that use Notepad as a default would be selected for inclusion (.ini, .log, etc.). Something to think about.

But for now, and again, my thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version