ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Multiple / Selective File Associations

(1/3) > >>

BearPup7:
So, sometimes I peruse a file using Internet Explorer (to respond to Microsoft sites), and the other half of the time with my default browser, Firefox. On my system left-clicking an .htm file will launch it with my default browser, and a right-click brings up a process that requires multiple clicks and selections in order to select which program will be used.

And in my email client ('wrapper') its even worse. Right-clicking a link brings up a different process, where I have to choose between default browser or Copy this link, which I then have to cut-and-paste into the browser I select separately....

This is an example, but the one I use on a daily basis. Ideally, the program I'm looking for would allow me to apply this type of 'selective file association' to any file extension, e.g., I could use it to work with .ini files or .txt (where I sometimes select notepad and DocPad at other times).

What I'm looking for is a one-click solution. Click, interface opens, click, I select which browser opens. Thats all. No lists to go through, no selecting from Explorer folders, no drilling down 4 levels, just a single click to select which browser will open that file to that specific location on that specific page.

Questions willingly answered, all thoughts and efforts gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance,
BearPup7

hamradio:
Might take a look at Portable Extension Warlock made by me to see if it can do what you want currently. :)

You can use the dropzone with it and just drag a file to it to send it to the portable extension warlock launcher which checks the info with your launch configuration and if it is only extension it launches it in it or if their is multiple extensions specified you can choose which to launch it with.

BearPup7:
@hamradio: thank you for responding. I actually am aware of your program, courtesy of dotTech. And while it might work for files, I didn't see how to make it work for links. And its links, especially in my email program, that cause the most problems. There I want to add to the existing right-click function the names of my 2 browsers, such that I can choose to open the linked file in either browser. Am I missing something?

cmpm:
BrowserTraySwitch may be a help.
Change default Internet Browser on demand from the tray.

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/browsertray/index.html

BearPup7:
@cmpm: Thank you. I'm going to try this one out. If it works, it'll at least save me the biggest hassle which is with the browser issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version