ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File history (time machine) in win 8: worth exploring?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Dormouse:
Quite a few people use FL or Studio One with Reaper; you can use FL within Reaper, I assume you can do the same with S1 though I've never tried it myself. The strengths of Reaper and FL in particular are complement each other. Reaper forum is very friendly & well informed about DAWs in general. If you want to use Melodyne and are happy with a cut down version, then S1 can look a good and cheap way of doing that.

Everything depends on what sort(s) of music you want to make and how you want to do it, though you can probably make any of the DAWs do anything if you work at it.

40hz:
A lot depends on what kind of music you do and what level you want to operate at. Also what instrument(s) you play and whether you're primarily midi/electronic - or you need real world analogue and vocals too. (Don't rule out vocals if you have commercial aspirations. Straight instrumentals - especially electronic - are a hard sell unless you're a real prodigy IMO. Add a good vocalist and some finely crafted lyrics and your job gets easier since people are more likely to remember songs with lyrics than tunes without.)

I just had a friend pick up one of these. It's pretty awesome what you can do with it and it costs about $250 on the street. (I recommend Sweetwater.com btw. Great selection, knowledgeable staff, superb service and very good prices. And I'm in no way affiliated with them. I'm just a very happy customer for about four years now.)

But in your case I'd definitely give Reaper a try before anything else. It's a fine piece of software. Easily as good as anything in the sub $500 price range. And probably as good as some of the stuff in the higher price brackets as well. If you want to spend money, and you're really a VST afficianado who is into loop-based composition techniques, take a look at Abelton Live. That's a DAW hybrid that's made for that sort of thing.

Some resources:

Good sites to check out for reviews and free music software: Synthtopia and KVR Audio

A good site for home recording techniques and tutorials: The Recording Revolution

Good Lord! There's sooooo much good stuff out there to investigate and talk about. Where to begin? ;D

(We could do a whole sub-board on just music and recording without even trying. 8))

TaoPhoenix:
Interesting thread.
I don't create music, but I grok some of the system build themes here. A couple of thoughts:

1. The main use case I see about updating is watching for new features in new versions of your favorite programs.

2. Back before I got lazy and quit caring, I used to maintain "parallel" machines. So one was designed to be pounded on, that's where you fiddle and test stuff. Then you load over your best rig settings/progs onto the "main" machine.

urlwolf:
I care about file history because I'm hoping to have something like version control for DAW files.
Here's an interesting thread describing a product that goes in that direction:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1642419

tomos:
I care about file history because I'm hoping to have something like version control for DAW files.
Here's an interesting thread describing a product that goes in that direction:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1642419
-urlwolf (April 15, 2013, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not familiar with the world you're describing (music/daws) but I'll chance asking:
why not use a dedicated app?
You would presumably have more control. Filehamster (FH) is the only one I know that allows you add comments to the saved version. It's limited in ways, but it works. (I'd dearly love if they developed that whole aspect of FH but they show no interest.) I use FH for some jobs, and Syncovery (formerly SFFS) for the others (where I dont need comments). Snycovery is more dependable in my experience and may be able to do partial file backup which would save you a lot of space (sounds like that work can be big).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version