ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File history (time machine) in win 8: worth exploring?

<< < (2/6) > >>

40hz:
^I'd go with Win7 (or OSX) unless you can say "yes" to at least three of the following:

* I like to tinker
* I am out to prove you can do as much with free software as you can with paid software
* I am cheap by nature, flat broke, or on a very tight budget
* I am not on deadline for some paid work

* I have some fairly decent Linux experience under my belt
Even though I'm a big supporter and advocate for Linux - I'm still not a zealot. Nor will I make excuses for flaky software. Even when it's made available at no charge. And while it may not be fair to complain about a freebie title, that still doesn't mean excuses need be made if it doesn't work as advertised.
 8)

40hz:
Would you say NO updates whatsoever? If the machine is online, that might be even dangerous?
-urlwolf (April 14, 2013, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you're creating a music workstaion, it should only be used for that. Which means no antivirus, no online use, no Facebook no LOL cats, etc. Just music apps as needed - and preferably as few as possible to get the job done. If it's working, and you're not browsing online or reading e-mail, or constantly installing new software, you don't need updates. It's like an appliance. How often do you need to upgrade firmware on an appliance?

If you have only one PC, a swappable hard drive is the best compromise. Have one drive for general use and one drive reserved just for music.

Maybe virtual machines might work - although how you'd get the performance of a realtime kernal out of a virtual machine is something I doubt is possible. But I'm no expert when it comes to VMs so I'll have to leave that discussion to those with more experience with VMs than I have.

urlwolf:
No, the host (win 7) is the daw, and the guest (linux) is the day-to-day machine (browsing etc). It'll all live on a laptop, i7 8 cores, 16gb ram, 2SSDs. So I hope this would work out fine. NO lowlatency kernel on linux, linux is for work.

40hz:
Any recommendations on learning how to set up and keep a DAW would be welcome too :)
-urlwolf (April 14, 2013, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are musicians here at DoCo who should be able to help with that.  

I'd suggest starting a new thread asking that question since it's going to get lost in here.  

(Sorry for the brief note.  Had to run out - and typing on this iPhone is not fun.) ;D

40hz:
No, the host (win 7) is the daw, and the guest (linux) is the day-to-day machine (browsing etc). It'll all live on a laptop, i7 8 cores, 16gb ram, 2SSDs. So I hope this would work out fine. NO lowlatency kernel on linux, linux is for work.
-urlwolf (April 14, 2013, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

hmm...

maybe put your linux /home and swap on the laptop HD - but install and run linux off a bootable USB key? You can get a good quality 16Gb key for under $20 these days. And 16Gb would be more space for a Linux OS than you'd ever need. Even 8Gb would be a lot if you're not storing /home on it.

You'd need to reboot to use Linux if you did it this way, but it shouldn't be too inconvenient since a USB bootup is very fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version