ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File history (time machine) in win 8: worth exploring?

(1/6) > >>

urlwolf:
I'm about to set up a music computer, and all seems to point at win7 being the safer choice.
But what new features of win8 would I miss?

looks like File history (time machine) in win 8 is worth exploring.
Advantages:

* Integrates with win explorer
* can use an external hd
* better interface to retrieve old versions
Has anyone here used it? Worth it? Any similar software to take win7 to the same level?

40hz:
When it comes to music apps as in: DAWS, recorders, sequencers, loop stations and soft synths (if that's what you're planning) you definitely do not want to install Windows 8 unless you absolutely have to at this point.

I general, if you're planning a workstation for music or media authoring, the SOP has always been to get a working configuration and never ever update anything on it unless something breaks or you want the new version of one or more of your main apps. And if you do update anything, use caution - and have a full image backup of your system/programs drive before you install or update anything.

This stuff has gotten a lot better about OS changes over the years. But many music apps are still relatively fragile compared to your standard productivity and general purpose programs. At least based on my personal experience with things like Gigasampler, Cubase, FruityLoops, Progression, Rosegarden, Rakarrack etc.

Just my :two:  :Thmbsup:

urlwolf:
This is what I thought.
Actually, I started trying this on linux. Horrible setup. Jack is a very bad idea, and as stable as a house of cards...

So win7 it is.

Anything similar to 'time machine' on win7?

urlwolf:
Would you say NO updates whatsoever? If the machine is online, that might be even dangerous?

I plan to 'live' inside linux on virtualbox, but I know myself, at the end I'll open a browser on the host just out of convenience. Of course there will be no antivirus running... :huh:

urlwolf:
Any recommendations on learning how to set up and keep a DAW would be welcome too :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version