ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Admin" is a BAD user name for anything! Change t!

(1/2) > >>

app103:
If your login name for Wordpress (or anything else) is "Admin", you really should change that for security reasons.

I logged into Cpanel on 2 of my domains (same web host), to see this notice at the top of the page.

The page they reference in the screenshot is this one: http://blog.cloudflare.com/patching-the-internet-fixing-the-wordpress-br

If you have been stupid enough to keep the default login of "admin" enabled on anything, do whatever you have to do to change it ASAP! Unless you'd really enjoy getting hacked, that is.

Keeping default login names or passwords on anything is BAD SECURITY!

Deozaan:
Related:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=34638.0

kunkel321:
This is mostly true only for web-based stuff--yes?

My work computer has some installed-onto-the-c-drive, non-networked utilities that still have "admin" as the login. 

barney:
Unfortunately, Admin is default for a lot.  And, while you can log to a new username, Admin is not disabled in most cases.  Routers come to mind, as well as a few other items of hardware  :(.  Unless you can actually disable the Admin user name, you're pretty much out of luck.  Had to nearly break my wi-fi in order to prevent an interloper from logging in with the default provided - on a number of Web sites  :o! - as an emergency access.  Prolly easier with Web-based, but don't think there're any guarantees  :huh:.

Edvard:
IIRC, my router actually offered to change the default admin password when I first logged in.  I hear a lot about Buffalo routers being junk, but this one came pre-installed with DD-WRT and has worked like a champ since I first got it.  :Thmbsup:

*EDIT* I meant to say "admin username" instead of password.  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version