ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Problems after you install Microsoft's security update 2823324

<< < (3/10) > >>

wraith808:
It seems that we are more forgiving until its us.   I just reinstalled on my son's laptop... and decided to enable automatic updates.  He came to me this morning saying that his computer kept going to this 'black screen'.  And yeah... since it's an old Sony that they only include "Recovery DVDs" instead of the OS, it's been a pain.  And all of their recovery steps have... you guessed it... not included Windows XP.

rgdot:
The worst lesson one could get out of these situations is to distrust updates, MS or otherwise. I am not a pro like 40hz but speaking from some experience I would say he is very right.

wraith808:
I think you have to take a more measured approach.  What I usually do is disable *automatic* updates.  Then, a week (or more) after update Tuesday and all of the furor has died down, I download and install the updates manually.  I just don't want to trust anyone to automatically do anything to my computer.  Because if it borks up, are they going to take responsibility for it?

I'll evaluate and decide whether to take the risks, and take the responsibility for my choices.  I've been bitten once about 15 years ago... and to a large extent, that was my fault, as I was hosting my own web site when code red came out and wasn't keeping up to date.  It hurt, but at least it was my fault.

In this case, it hurts... but it's nothing that I did.  And that's a hard pill to swallow, especially since it seems I'm now looking at several hours to restore his computer.  Thankfully, nothing is lost, but it's still a pain, and a drain.

40hz:
@Wraith - That's a bloody nuisance for sure!

BTW is it just me, or does it seem like Sony loves to make things just a little more complicated that they need to be with their products? I have had more weird issues with Sony desktops (Vaio) and laptops than just about any other brand. To me they were like that "little girl who had a little curl." Because when a Vaio is good, it's very very good - but when it's not...forget it!
 :-\

rgdot:
^ Yes but then you are weighing the 'pros and cons' of being affected by something like a 0 day exploit vs BSOD from bad updates.

EDIT: Vaio laptops ... have been disappointing in my limited experience

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version