ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Problems after you install Microsoft's security update 2823324

<< < (2/10) > >>

wraith808:
So it goes. (And it's all billable time!) ;)
-40hz (April 12, 2013, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gettin' paid by the hour and older by the minute... :)

Tinman57:

And hence my tag-line:

((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck!  It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

TaoPhoenix:
This is the first big-bad patch warning from MS I've seen in a while. Usually I take my time installing them, but more from a hassle point, not so much of distrusting MS. That honor goes more towards Adobe :P

pilgrim:
I have long thought that the biggest threat to a Windows computer is not malware but MS Updates.

About a month ago I went through my three computers sorting out updates that had refused to install, in total there was well over thirty of them, two thirds on the same computer and nearly all relating to the NET Framework.
It took me seven hours altogether, much of that looking up solutions on the internet, and for the first time since the first update on my first PC there are no updates outstanding although each computer has several hidden that are not relevant for one reason or another.

My pet hate is that you keep getting notified about an update but when you go to install it you are informed that the relevant program is not installed!
Then why the ******* hell do you keep getting told you need it?

Actually in rare cases it can be therapeutic, I heard of a doctor who advised his patients with low blood pressure to buy a Windows computer.

40hz:
I have long thought that the biggest threat to a Windows computer is not malware but MS Updates.
-pilgrim (April 13, 2013, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking from the perspective of somebody who is responsible for the health and safety of a large number of Windows PCs and servers, I'd have to politely agree to disagree with you on that point. From my experience, about 50% of all serious Windows problems can be directly attributed to the failure on the part of the owner to be current with Microsoft's critical updates.

If the automatic updates are not installing, it's a very clear indication that there's another critical issue on a machine that needs to be addressed. This can range from an unsuccessful previous installation attempt, a corrupted system file, or the presence (or residual/collateral damage) from some unusually nasty malware.

That said - it would be nice if Microsoft's updater was a little more verbose. And also if it could be more helpful in notifying the user that there has been a problem. Because I have seen the same problem you had (although only on XP machines). Usually right after I receive a call from someone who got referred to me because their system was seriously infected with malware.b Something that came as a complete shock to the owner because they had a quality antivirus utility installed on their machine. They usually learn that their realtime scanner - and the security center notification - had also been disabled without their knowledge.

Updates...they're like oatmeal. You may not like it - but make it a regular part of your diet anyway. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version