ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Discourse in Practice

<< < (2/2)

app103:
That's an interesting alternative to traditional forum software.

How searchbot friendly is it? Does your content get indexed well?

What about sites that rely on advertising for revenue? How easy would it be to insert that stuff? I am not just talking about an ad banner at the top/bottom/side of the page. It's possible with traditional forum software to insert ads to appear as posts within the discussion. (I am sure you have seen what looks like a member named "Google" making posts in forums that are Adsense ads, that try to be "related" to the discussion) Can something like that be done with this, yet?

Another thought: That "endless stream of content" approach, that just keeps loading more content when you reach the bottom of the page (till there isn't any more) usually creates problems with low end and older machines (and a lot of mobile devices) that don't have multiple gigs of RAM to waste on viewing a single web page. Eventually, if you scroll enough, it can cause your browser to freeze up, your entire system to crawl. It happens much faster when you don't have that much RAM. I have a gig of RAM on this machine and run into this problem quite frequently on Facebook and G+, if I scroll too far or leave the page open too long. Breaking the content into separate pages like a traditional forum does, kind of prevents that from happening.

wraith808:
Those are some really good questions App... and unfortunately, I don't have the answer's to any of them :(  I tried to look up some of your answers, but found nothing unfortunately.  It's still very much beta software, so I suppose that will change as they get closer to production ready and people start posting about issues and such.

f0dder:
I hate "endless scrolling" with a passion.

It makes the scrollbar useless (both for scrolling and as a visual indicator of progress) once you're a few pages down, and if I'm searching for something specific in a thread, I often have an idea that it's a page n+/-3 (or whatever), something you just don't get with endless scrolling. Oh, and if a site doesn't persist "progress", or persists it in a cookie, that's just extra hate-fuel, since I often switch browsers and machines.

wraith808:
It does persist progress.  Not sure by what mechanism it does it, but it does persist progress.  And that's the reason behind the endless scrolling.

f0dder:
It does persist progress.  Not sure by what mechanism it does it, but it does persist progress.  And that's the reason behind the endless scrolling.-wraith808 (April 07, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
...and I'd hope it does it in a database-persisted setting rather than a cookie - because otherwise, it's useless :). Given that the team behind Discourse are pretty skilled (even if they chose RoR :p), I'd expect it not to be a cookie hack.

Doesn't change my overall sentiment, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version