ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cheap LED torches/flashlights - any good?

<< < (3/6) > >>

rjbull:
Thanks, folks...  I'd decided the common claim of "aircraft grade" aluminium given for low-end torches was (usually) specious, but didn't know about "LED fade," nor thought about switch quality.  I realise you get what you pay for, but as you can often buy 10 cheapies for the cost of one high-end torch, it becomes harder to decide what's the better deal.

I hadn't thought about hand-cranked torches either, but having one around would clearly be a good idea.  They're widely available in the UK, but look very low-end.  I checked both Brinkmann and Garrity on Amazon UK; the former look the same price as other top brands, and Amazon don't offer Garrity hand-cranked models.

To light up a room, I have a fluorescent camping lantern that takes 4*D batteries, but it only really gives enough light to see your way around, not enough to actually do anything.  Fluorescent tube lanterns have also been superseded by LED lanterns, but look quite large.  I've seen a recommendation for the pen-sized RIL50 8 LED Mini Inspection Light.  It doesn't really look big enough to light a whole room, but good for working in small areas, like vehicle engine compartments.

An expensive recommendation I saw recently, and that appealed to me, was for the LED Lenser V2 Aviator Torch because it has a ring of white LEDs surrounding a single separately-switchable red LED.  The idea is to use the latter for things where you don't want to affect your night vision, like map-reading, but to have full illumination readily available as well. 

LED torches are making my old incandescent Petzl head torch look decidedly dim, so maybe I'll start looking at head torches again.  Sigh...

I think skwire's right about LED light quality.  It may be something to do with the output not being full-spectrum, just a narrow band of frequencies.  I've even seen that stated as a reason why they can't be used for hunting at night, the lack of full-colour vision also spoiling one's depth/distance perception.

40hz:
I'm sure I can't be the only one that doesn't like the type of light that LED's put out.  How do I explain this?  I mean...I don't like the glowy, overall subdued light that most LED flashlights give off.  I much prefer the type of light that a traditional incandescent flashlight produces.  I feel that they illuminate much better than LEDs.  More detail, IMO.  Maybe I'm alone here?
-skwire (April 04, 2013, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. I agree. LEDs are just little too bright and white to suit me. Seem more like a lightning flash than the sunlight quality you get from incandescent bulbs. And they do kill your night vision and screw up depth perception as others have already noted.  But I guess thats the trade-off for higher lumens, longer run times, no heat, and overall better shock resistance.

app103:
I've seen a recommendation for the pen-sized RIL50 8 LED Mini Inspection Light.  It doesn't really look big enough to light a whole room, but good for working in small areas, like vehicle engine compartments.
-rjbull (April 04, 2013, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I feel that pen lights are the most useful when they don't have anything like clips or magnets that could prevent you from holding them between your teeth, for hands free usage.  ;)

Tinman57:
I'm sure I can't be the only one that doesn't like the type of light that LED's put out.  How do I explain this?  I mean...I don't like the glowy, overall subdued light that most LED flashlights give off.  I much prefer the type of light that a traditional incandescent flashlight produces.  I feel that they illuminate much better than LEDs.  More detail, IMO.  Maybe I'm alone here?
-skwire (April 04, 2013, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

You'll note that all military and police-grade flashlights (torches) are the bright white LED's.  The ones I have are adjustable from narrow to wide beam.  The narrow beam is most excellent to light up a subject, has that "reach out and touch someone" power, and is what I use with my 12 gauge at night.  The wide beam though, to me, seems to throw out that glow that gets reflected by moisture or pollution in the air.

Target:
...has that "reach out and touch someone" power, and is what I use with my 12 gauge at night....-Tinman57 (April 04, 2013, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

WTF? here's hoping I never actually meet you at night :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version