ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cheap LED torches/flashlights - any good?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I'm sure I can't be the only one that doesn't like the type of light that LED's put out.  How do I explain this?  I mean...I don't like the glowy, overall subdued light that most LED flashlights give off.  I much prefer the type of light that a traditional incandescent flashlight produces.  I feel that they illuminate much better than LEDs.  More detail, IMO.  Maybe I'm alone here?
-skwire (April 04, 2013, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. I agree. LEDs are just little too bright and white to suit me. Seem more like a lightning flash than the sunlight quality you get from incandescent bulbs. And they do kill your night vision and screw up depth perception as others have already noted.  But I guess thats the trade-off for higher lumens, longer run times, no heat, and overall better shock resistance.-40hz (April 04, 2013, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not a real fan of the Ultra white LED light either. I just don't trust that I'm really seeing everything that I could.

However, after having many genuine Maglite brand flashlights break or get stolen ... I am slowly becoming a fan of the cheap stuff. There is a tool store chain called Harbor Freight that has a coupon in the Sunday paper for a free flashlight/volt meter/etc. every week. I've been carrying one of their ~ 3" x 1" round flashlights in my pocket for a few years and it does just fine. Hell it's even half assed water proof as I've dropped it in the water a few times doing various projects and it's still doing great.

They usually come 2 in a pack for $3, have a metal case, and are more impact resistant than any other flashlight I've ever had.

Website has them on sale now for $1

rjbull:
I'm not a real fan of the Ultra white LED light either. I just don't trust that I'm really seeing everything that I could.-Stoic Joker (July 22, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think you are.  I'm sure I read (somewhere on the Web, so it must be true...) something to the effect that you can't really use LEDs for hunting at night, because their limited spectrum messes up the human eye's depth perception.

There is a tool store chain called Harbor Freight [...] I've been carrying one of their ~ 3" x 1" round flashlights in my pocket [...]They usually come 2 in a pack for $3, have a metal case, and are more impact resistant than any other flashlight I've ever had.
Website has them on sale now for $1-Stoic Joker (July 22, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
That looks identical to the ones that started me asking the original question!  There appear to be several variations on the case; with/without binocular-style rubber armour, or a plastic case.  Mine has a photoluminescent green plastic case that glows in the dark like a ghost train.

Stoic Joker:
I'm not a real fan of the Ultra white LED light either. I just don't trust that I'm really seeing everything that I could.-Stoic Joker (July 22, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think you are.  I'm sure I read (somewhere on the Web, so it must be true...) something to the effect that you can't really use LEDs for hunting at night, because their limited spectrum messes up the human eye's depth perception.-rjbull (July 22, 2013, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well no issues their then, as I've never been much on hunting. That and I'm of the mind that if one finds themselves in the woods you can generally see more area but less detail without a flashlight.

There is a tool store chain called Harbor Freight [...] I've been carrying one of their ~ 3" x 1" round flashlights in my pocket [...]They usually come 2 in a pack for $3, have a metal case, and are more impact resistant than any other flashlight I've ever had.
Website has them on sale now for $1-Stoic Joker (July 22, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
That looks identical to the ones that started me asking the original question!  There appear to be several variations on the case; with/without binocular-style rubber armour, or a plastic case.  Mine has a photoluminescent green plastic case that glows in the dark like a ghost train.[/quote]

I like the plain metal case, it slides in/out of my pocket easily when I need in and doesn't take up a lot of room. Rubber will just make it bounce when dropped and the damn thing is already round ...(so the tendency to roll away is bad enough)... Christ I don't want to have to try and chase a jackrabbit under a desk...I'd probably never find it.

4wd:
Just received two Ultrafire CREE Q5 300LM, (they were on special for <$4).

Cheap LED torches/flashlights - any good?

Run on either one AA battery or a 14500 LiIon, (which is what I use), zoom from flood to spot.  Almost twice the light output as my old LED torch, (which uses a 18650 LiIon), at 2/3 the size.

SeraphimLabs:
I bought a cheap wind-up LED light around 5 years ago. It has 3 LEDs for output and can operate in 1 or 3 LED mode.

Winding it up for a bit lets it run several minutes without needing to be wound up again.

Gotta see if I can find a make and model on it for you guys, because in 5 years of industrial service with regular use it is still going rather well for a cheap lamp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version