ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

thunderbird alternative

<< < (7/8) > >>

40hz:

And what I find most amazing is how few have built-in provisions for backing up their own message stores.-40hz (April 11, 2013, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

...and, in the case of The Bat (Voyager version) at the point I gave up with it, even when there IS backup, it isn't always reliable. Grumble grumble grumble...-oblivion (April 11, 2013, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

And that is the main reason why I won't use The Bat even though I did buy a license for it some time back. It failed the backup/restore test I gave it. And if you can't trust an app's backup feature, it's an immediate "game over" AFAIC.

...and Claws I'll take a look at too, in due course.

--- End quote ---

Wish you the best of luck with it. You probably won't like it much. I don't consider myself a fan by any stretch. But then again, I never saw much in any e-mail client to get all goofy over. However, I needed to use something, and Claws works at least as well as anything else I tried. It's also multi platform. And the price was certainly right. 8)

tomos:
With Thunderbord it's easy to do your own backup (I dont even know if it does backup itself). The email format (eml) is easy to read and can even be opened in a text editor.

How do the competition compare?

kalos:
Sylpheed anyone? looks interesting...

40hz:
Sylpheed anyone? looks interesting...
-kalos (April 11, 2013, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Claws used to be the unstable development version of Sylpheed. Originally called Sylpheed-Claws, it amicably forked sometime around 2004 or thereabouts IIRC and became its own project under the name Claws Mail.

The two are still somewhat similar. Sylpheed has more of a 'classic' feel to it. Claws tends to be more feature rich and 'adventurous' for lack of a better word.
 8)

Edvard:
I tried Claws for a while.  There was something about it I didn't like, can't remember exactly what ATM, mebbe I'll try again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version