ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Defense Distributed Domain Stolen!

<< < (4/4)

40hz:
^Fortunately, I think most of the web news crowd was skeptical. Most didn't take the story and run with it since there was no corroborating evidence any seizure took place. (A phone call to the hosting company was all it would have taken to confirm it.)

Had the thing blown up, gotten massive coverage, and prompted the DoJ to make a formal statement of denial, things might have gone very differently. Because kidding aside, putting a fake seizure page up on your site is not much different than telling the news media that the feds showed up with a warrant, kicked your door in, and confiscated all your computers and data files.

At the very least, there's a copyright violation if those logos are the actual logos of the DoJ or DHS. (There's actually a federal reg that points out they're copyrighted and can only be used with permission.) I suppose you could make an argument for "fair use." But I don't think you could make it stick with something like this.

Anyway, it seems to have blown over with little wind damage. So I doubt the government will want to court the Streisand Effect by doing anything about it - even though I'm guessing they could. Down the road things might go differently however. Defense Distributed has fired an opening salvo. Even if it was intended to be taken purely as a joke with no political agenda intended. (Yeah right!) Unfortunately, that's the sort of move that can put you "on the radar screen." Very dumb IMO. (Rule #1 when challenging the Powers That Be: Pick your venues - and have a clear goal in view when confronting your opponent.) But what's done is done.

Onward! :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
^Fortunately, I think most of the web news crowd was skeptical. Most didn't take the story and run with it since there was no corroborating evidence any seizure took place. (A phone call to the hosting company was all it would have taken to confirm it.)

Had the thing blown up, gotten massive coverage, and prompted the DoJ to make a formal statement of denial, things might have gone very differently. Because kidding aside, putting a fake seizure page up on your site is not much different than telling the news media that the feds showed up with a warrant, kicked your door in, and confiscated all your computers and data files.

At the very least, there's a copyright violation if those logos are the actual logos of the DoJ or DHS. (There's actually a federal reg that points out they're copyrighted and can only be used with permission.) I suppose you could make an argument for "fair use." But I don't think you could make it stick with something like this.

Anyway, it seems to have blown over with little wind damage. So I doubt the government will want to court the Streisand Effect by doing anything about it - even though I'm guessing they could. Down the road things might go differently however. Defense Distributed has fired an opening salvo. Even if it was intended to be taken purely as a joke with no political agenda intended. (Yeah right!) Unfortunately, that's the sort of move that can put you "on the radar screen." Very dumb IMO. (Rule #1 when challenging the Powers That Be: Pick your venues - and have a clear goal in view when confronting your opponent.) But what's done is done.

Onward! :Thmbsup:
-40hz (April 02, 2013, 06:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

3 felonies a day. :D

wraith808:
They can be fun in person, but on the Internet? They just don't work. Timezones monkey them up badly.
-Renegade (April 01, 2013, 11:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even in person, timing is important.  And most people don't have a sense of it to that extent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version