ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

a better favorites manager?

<< < (3/3)

Scott:
I've used Powermarks (as mentioned above) for years.  It's a few bucks cheaper than Linkman (at $25), and does let you save notes for URLs.  Works with Mozilla, Netscape (don't know about Netscape 8 though), Opera, Firefox, MSIE, NetCaptor, and Maxthon (or at least used to work with MyIE2), and probably others.

The main thing I like about Powermarks is that its search is instantaneous.  I have several thousand URLs in my Powermarks file, yet if I enter a string to narrow down the list of matching URLs, the list is updated essentially instantly with every keystroke.  I have seen others that aren't nearly so quick.

Another one is LinkStash.  A long time ago, I worked with the LinkStash author on adding Powermarks-like search functionality.  I never really used it to see how well it works (shhhh...  don't tell.  :)), but it may be worth checking out, as it's "only" $20.

nudone:
i couldn't see any note/comment making ability with 'bookmark buddy' so i didn't get very far with it after that.

'powermarks' i looked at but probably didn't give it enough time so i'll try it again.

'linkstash' i think i used some time ago and will also try again.

i think i was trying to find a clone of 'linkman' so i'll try and avoid doing that this time around.

dtrud0h:
I just use the one built into firefox.  There's a plugin that allows you to export all of firefox's bookmarks to IE automagically.  Both are free, of course.
-tenseiken (June 01, 2005, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you ever looked at the bookmarks.html file in your profile folder?  I wanted to include my bookmarks as links on a webpage and opened the file up.  Holy cow, I don't know what firefox stores there, the links all worked but some of the stuff attached to the links was outrageous.  I mean to delete one link while viewing the html code and holding the delete key down till the end of the line I bet it took no less than five minutes.

If anyone knows exactly why the links were so long, I would like to know.  For example, does firefox store visit to page info there, or cookie info along with the url?  It was all 'Gibbrish' to me but where this is a site for people who know "code" maybe someone here knows the answer to my query.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version