ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Has my browser been hi-jacked?

<< < (3/4) > >>

crabby3:
This is a quote from my DC bio:

I'm not a computer geek. (no disrespect intended) I barely know the difference between software and hardware. (just kidding but close) I just don't have the interest.

I've tried to become more computer-savvy but the interest or brain cells just aren't there.   ;D

Sorry for the confusion.  :-[

crabby3:
I did something right yesterday ... but I don't know what.   :huh:

I tried using the Comcast Xfinity search box this morning and the results page came up looking like it used to (my normal).   :o

Maybe installing the Google search engine changed something?  Or maybe I was visited by the IT Guardians?   ;D

Both the Comcast and Search Results pages are in compatibility mode now ... but I tried this yesterday, before the Google install, and it didn't help.

Not knowing the cure is almost as bad as the problem itself.

J-Mac:
Sounds like you installed the Comcast/Xfinity Self-Install Kit. Bad mojo! Try this link and see if anything there helps: http://blog.ryanparman.com/2011/07/07/remove-comcastxfinity-start-page-from-firefox-mac/

Jim

crabby3:
Sounds like you installed the Comcast/Xfinity Self-Install Kit. Bad mojo! Try this link and see if anything there helps: http://blog.ryanparman.com/2011/07/07/remove-comcastxfinity-start-page-from-firefox-mac/

Jim
-J-Mac (April 01, 2013, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your advice J-Mac but I think I'll leave well-enough-alone.  As of today the problem that started this Topic is gone. (Xfinity Search Engine is back the way it was).

I use Windows BTW (please see my DC signature) so maybe you could provide a walkthrough link for a Windows OS?   :)

FWIW:  This was a relatively recent issue, less than a week, and I started using Comcast long before Xfinity was tacked on.  It's been about 6 years since I installed but I can't recall how or what I used.   :huh:

J-Mac:
crabby,

I know that but you hadn't mentioned what OS you are running up till now. Actually you haven't really described the problem very well so far. I understand that you say you are not very well-versed technologically, but you need to at least give us the basics that you can. OS and edition (Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc.), Firefox version, what Comcast/Xfinity software have you installed? Or did Comcast install software on your computer when they set up your service? E.g., was the Comcast software that they try to get you to install when starting their service installed by you or a Comcast tech? Is the Comcast/Xfinity "Constant Guard" so-called security software installed by you or Comcast? The Comcast toolbar?

What AntiVirus and/or AntiMalware software is installed? Firewall? If you can try to gather up as much as that information as possible it would help a lot!

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version