ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (145/182) > >>

brotherS:
Arrival (Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi). Loved it! :-*

"When twelve mysterious spacecraft appear around the world, linguistics professor Louise Banks is tasked with interpreting the language of the apparent alien visitors."

For whatever reason some people don't seem to understand the movie, but it still made it (currently as #209) into IMDb's Top Rated Movies. Will watch it again some day for sure!

IainB:
Solaris

Storyline:
The Solaris mission has established a base on a planet that appears to host some kind of intelligence, but the details are hazy and very secret. After the mysterious demise of one of the three scientists on the base, the main character (a troubled psychologist) is sent out to replace him. He finds the station run-down and the remaining scientists cold and secretive. When he also encounters his wife who has been dead for ten years, he begins to discover the baffling nature of the alien intelligence.

My review:
I've actually been watching 2 versions of the Solaris movie - the original 1972 Russian production, and the newer Hollywood version of 2002, with George Clooney.
They are both very good movies, in my view, and though the interpretation and somewhat surprising endings are different, the story hangs together rather well in each.    :Thmbsup:
I had always thought the 1972 version could not be bested, but the 2002 version was just as good and George Clooney does a pretty creditable act as the psychologist.    :Thmbsup:
The Solaris movies are based on the story of the same name by the superb SF writer Stanislaw Lem.    :Thmbsup:

Soundtrack Music: https://www.soundtrack.net/album/solaris--3196/
The music in the second one (2002) is by Cliff Martinez and is very good and I find it worth listening to for its own sake, with some of it being quite hauntingly beautiful.    :Thmbsup:

IainB:
Just in case anyone might be interested:
A curated list of movies every hacker & cyberpunk must watch.

Worth a look. I've seen quite a few of the SF movies, but less of the other ones listed.

4wd:
Low budget Lovecraft inspired film:

rgdot:
Standard thriller

Movies you've seen lately

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version