ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (138/182) > >>

wraith808:
I also saw Rogue One.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. It was a decent film. Probably better, in my opinion, than the last 4 Star Wars episodic movies that were released (so 1-3, and 7). It had some really great moments, but also some silly/pointless moments. There were some things that happened that make no sense to me and as far as I can tell were never explained. They used CGI to resurrect or make young again a couple of actors from the original trilogy (episodes 4-6). The CGI was pretty good, but still not good enough to avoid the Uncanny Valleyw. I feel they did a good job of making Darth Vader feel menacing and powerful. But there was a weird moment in there where they had Vader make a CSI-like sunglasses-pun. Then again, maybe it was subtle enough that most people didn't catch it.
-Deozaan (December 21, 2016, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I saw it today (my Christmas gift from my  son), and I rather liked it a lot more than I expected.  The space scenes got that feeling that I had when I was a kid going in a way that the others  didn't.  The CGI on Tarkin didn't affect me (UV) as much as the other.  I liked the way that they tied up loose ends from some of the dialog in 4, and liked the way that they tied everything in.  It was also more ambitious and risky than I expected a Disney vehicle to be, which was a good thing.  And totally agree that they made Vader a lot more menacing- put back some of the menace that had been stolen from him in some adaptations of him.

Deozaan:
I thought that was a reference to Man of Steel, not BvS.  Especially since the other aliens that were there were just as powerful- but Superman was the one that survived.  Never put together that they could be referring to BvS.-wraith808 (December 21, 2016, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I just had Batman vs. Superman (at least partially) spoiled when I went looking up information on June Moone. This is what Wikipedia says about the plot of Suicide Squadw:

Potential Batman vs. Superman spoilerIn the aftermath of Superman's death, intelligence officer Amanda Waller assembles Task Force X, a team of dangerous criminals [...]
So I feel I can safely say it definitely assumed I had seen Batman vs. Superman.

It might be because you haven't read the comics?  Admittedly, with a cast that was this large, it was inevitable that some people would get the short end of the stick... I knew slipknot's position because of this.  And I do think that your complaint has merit beyond what you say- it's bad writing.  More than the BvS link, I thought this was the point where they relied on you already knowing the characters, though I'm not sure offhand of a better way to execute it in the time given.  They are doing a better job with Justice League, but I still give the credit to Marvel, as they were willing to give the major characters in the Avengers their own movies (for the most part), and not rush the project to market as DC is.  I'll go down your list interjecting what makes each special- at least the ones I know.  I also linked the names up to the wikipedia entries.-wraith808 (December 21, 2016, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I definitely haven't read the comics. Even so, most of the superheroes in the Marvel movies are characters I've heard of before, either from Saturday Morning Cartoons from my youth, or video games, or something. Besides that, I feel they did a poor job of introducing us to them in this movie. And I wondered why they introduced us to them multiple times. The opening scenes introduce us to a few of them. Then Waller is proposing her plan, wherein she introduces them to us again. Then they go check them out in person, where we are introduced a third time. Then bad things happen and the squad is finally organized. I didn't really care for it, but that's not to say I have any better ideas for how it could have been done.

Enchantress was a super powerful being whose actions largely make no sense.
-Deozaan (December 21, 2016, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think her actions made sense, but they just didn't do a good job of conveying them.  Sort of like in the comics; they never really knew what to do with her.
-wraith808 (December 21, 2016, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Her actions make sense as far as her wanting to destroy humanity, but they don't make sense in the same way that Apocalypse's (from X-Men Apocalypse) actions don't make sense. These people have immense power and can kill in an instant or move/teleport to safety in an instant, but they leave themselves vulnerable and engage in hand-to-hand combat.

June Moon-wraith808 (December 21, 2016, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't even mention her because my first reaction to her part in the story was, "What kind of archaeologist discovers an ancient ruin and immediately breaks something?"

Incubus was a super powerful being whose actions largely make no sense, and whose name I only know after having looked it up on IMDB.
--- End quote ---
Incubus was the entity that was inside of June's brother, and more powerful than she.  They did an OK job of explaining this, I thought, if less than they should have.
--- End quote ---

I thought Incubus was her brother, and she gave him a new host. But aside from that, I still don't understand why--if he is an actual god, and she is only god-like--why does he do everything she says. And again, he can kill in an instant, and everything he touches--except the Suicide Squad--is immediately destroyed. I honestly can't remember if it ever came down to kicks and punches with the Suicide Squad (not counting the one obvious exception), but it still seems to me like he could have annihilated them instantly.

Flag was OK, I guess, but I couldn't figure out what made him any more special than any of the other military folks.
--- End quote ---

They needed a handler.  He was it.  Nothing really special about him.-wraith808 (December 21, 2016, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's how I felt, but the way Waller introduced him made it seem like there was something special about him, which I didn't understand.

Waller was OK, I guess, but I couldn't figure out why Deadshot, or anyone else, for that matter, didn't just smash/break/shoot/steal her phone/tablet and then kill her and Flag.
--- End quote ---

Again, her position was that she did have the killswitch and was the power behind the throne, and that was the reason that they were just after her tablet with her alive, rather than dead.  If she wasn't in range of the tablet, their bombs go boom.  Not in range also means dead.  She's supposed to be very much a ruthless power behind the scenes type of person, that thinks several steps ahead of the opposition.
--- End quote ---

Maybe I missed that part. I didn't remember them ever explaining that if she was dead or too far from it, they'd die. In fact, I'm pretty sure that wasn't an explicit part of the plot, because wasn't there a few minutes after her helicopter crashed that they weren't sure she survived? They certainly wouldn't need to wonder whether or not she was still living if they were rigged to explode upon her death.

This video is amusing, and makes good points (and has some spoilers):

holt:
All the Star Wars flix, including Rogue One. Here's the thought-provoker that still stymies me; if you had asked me at any time before today if I felt especially impressed by Carrie Fisher (as Princess Leia), or especially attached to her as a fan, I'd have answered, 'Not particularly, but yeah, sort of'. Even so, even in spite of this seeming lack of attachment to her memory, when I learned just a day ago that she had just died, something came over me, and within a minute or two, tears began to stream down my cheeks, and kept doing so for hours. I soaked a  paper towel.
Writing this today, the tears just came back and I still can't say why.

mouser:
Those Jenny Nicholson videos are great.

holt:
All the Star Wars flix, including Rogue One. Here's the thought-provoker that still stymies me; if you had asked me at any time before today if I felt especially impressed by Carrie Fisher (as Princess Leia), or especially attached to her as a fan, I'd have answered, 'Not particularly, but yeah, sort of'. Even so, even in spite of this seeming lack of attachment to her memory, when I learned just a day ago that she had just died, something came over me, and within a minute or two, tears began to stream down my cheeks, and kept doing so for hours. I soaked a  paper towel.
Writing this today, the tears just came back and I still can't say why.
-holt (December 28, 2016, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/28/debbie-reynolds-dead/
"Debbie Reynolds -- who rose to stardom in "Singin' in the Rain" and quickly became a staple among Hollywood royalty -- died Wednesday as a result of a stroke, TMZ has learned ... just one day after her daughter Carrie Fisher passed away ..."
I am beyond astonished. Here are some memorable Carrie Fisher quotes;
"There's no room for demons when you're self-possessed."
"Instant gratification takes too long."
“I shot through my twenties like a luminous thread through a dark needle, blazing toward my destination: Nowhere.”
“Actually, I am a failed anorexic. I have anorexic thinking, but I can't seem to muster the behavior.”
“Life is a cruel, horrible joke and I am the punch line.”
“You know how I always seem to be struggling, even when the situation doesn't call for it?”
“Sometimes I feel like I've got my nose pressed up against the window of a bakery, only I'm the bread.”
“Sometimes you can only find Heaven by slowly backing away from Hell.”
“I feel I'm very sane about how crazy I am.”
“No motive is pure. No one is good or bad — but a hearty mix of both. And sometimes life actually gives to you by taking away.”
“I quote fictional characters, because I'm a fictional character myself!”
“Having waited my entire life to get an award for something, anything … I now get awards all the time for being mentally ill. It’s better than being bad at being insane, right? How tragic would it be to be runner-up for Bipolar Woman of the Year?”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version