ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (113/182) > >>

tomos:
^ hi Panzer, I started the thread and I meant it to be for movies. Yes, you quote me -- and you would win on a technicality in a court of law :) but hey, we're just in dc forums. Posting them is fair enough, but this does not seem to me to be the right thread for them...

wraith808:
^ hi Panzer, I started the thread and I meant it to be for movies. Yes, you quote me -- and you would win on a technicality in a court of law :) but hey, we're just in dc forums. Posting them is fair enough, but this does not seem to me to be the right thread for them...
-tomos (October 20, 2015, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

And Favorite does tend towards recommendations if we're picking someone's words apart. 

It seems that you are too paranoid. But that's your problem, not mine ...
-panzer (October 20, 2015, 03:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

But ad hominem attacks are right out of the court, and point towards intent.  Paranoid... come on now.

tomos:
And Favorite does tend towards recommendations if we're picking someone's words apart.
-wraith808 (October 20, 2015, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

... I think you are thinking of the other movie thread there wraith - this one is just "Movies you've seen lately"

IainB:
@panzer: Thanks for posting about those films - always happy to have my comfort zones stretched a bit.

My take:

* Battle Royale: I had never heard of this before, but from IMDB is seems that it was an updated remake based on the gruesome Battle Royal (2000), and that there's a sequel Battle Royale II. I probably wouldn't watch them as I generally find those sorts of "violent future" and gruesome SF themes tend to be a bit tedious and lacking in plot - "Hunger Games" would be another example (I did watch it, and then wondered why I wasted my time). Having said that, I'm all for a bit of unashamed, excessive gratuitous violence in goody v. baddie films like "Die Hard", etc.

* 12 Angry Men (1957): It gets 8.9/10 on IMDB and though I saw it years ago I recall it as being a fairly gripping legal-detective type drama. A really well-written and well-acted American film - probably a classic by now - and I wondered whether it set the scene for the later Perry Mason TV series.

* SEPTEMBER CLUES 9/11 - YouTube: I hadn't seen that "911 conspiracy theory" video before, and it seemed a quite well-made and well-researched amateur film, and it definitely had something to say. From experience, and given the catalogue of what look rather like tell-tale warning lights, during and post-911, particularly regarding the "911 Commission", and including, for example, the treatment of conflicting eyewitness reports, the preferential appointment of key personnel, the funding constraints, deliberate procrastination, prevarication, redaction (actually hiding some of the truth), lack of FOI, and a seemingly inconclusive outcome with suspect "truth", one might be forgiven for assuming that Americans were a somewhat gullible lot if they all swallowed it wholesale, as directed. But they aren't, and they didn't, and the production of 911 conspiracy theory videos/films illustrates that and was arguably a predictable outcome under the circumstances.
All 3 films have their own peculiar qualities, but as regards SEPTEMBER CLUES 9/11 - YouTube, I would have to say that amateur films such as that give testament to the fact that Americans are not all a gullible lot and they don't tend to swallow the PC line wholesale without raising some thorny questions, and long may they stay so. That amateur film forms a legitimate part of the nation's cultural history, and to object to it or try suppress it in this forum because it doesn't pass the arbitrary wraith808-Tomas rule or requires the Witchfinder-General to be summoned, or something, would seem to be blunt censorship. However, if @Tomos feels that he has squatter's rights on this thread, or something, and can (say) dictate its contents, then why not get out of his face and start up another thread entitled (say), "Movies you've seen lately (amateur and professional) and why you would recommend them". Not sure whether that would fit in the title line (probably too long) but you get the idea. You could then (say) ask the Admins to move your posts from this thread into that, and thus start it off. I'd be a contributor! I'm all for freedom of speech and no censorship, and love films that discuss what might have been, or currently are, difficult or contentious issues, or which force one to think beyond the narrow confines of one's preconceptions. My first post would probably be about "The Boy With Green Hair" and "My Left Foot", the second "Lady Chatterly's Lover" and "Straw Dogs", as I have been watching these with my 14 y/o daughter (she's studying social justice issues and films/books that have been censored/banned due to not meeting the shifting/arbitrary PC standards of the day).

wraith808:
All 3 films have their own peculiar qualities, but as regards SEPTEMBER CLUES 9/11 - YouTube, I would have to say that amateur films such as that give testament to the fact that Americans are not all a gullible lot and they don't tend to swallow the PC line wholesale without raising some thorny questions, and long may they stay so. That amateur film forms a legitimate part of the nation's cultural history, and to object to it or try suppress it in this forum because it doesn't pass the arbitrary wraith808-Tomas rule or requires the Witchfinder-General to be summoned, or something, would seem to be blunt censorship. However, if @Tomos feels that he has squatter's rights on this thread, or something, and can (say) dictate its contents, then why not get out of his face and start up another thread entitled (say), "Movies you've seen lately (amateur and professional) and why you would recommend them". Not sure whether that would fit in the title line (probably too long) but you get the idea. You could then (say) ask the Admins to move your posts from this thread into that, and thus start it off. I'd be a contributor! I'm all for freedom of speech and no censorship, and love films that discuss what might have been, or currently are, difficult or contentious issues, or which force one to think beyond the narrow confines of one's preconceptions. My first post would probably be about "The Boy With Green Hair" and "My Left Foot", the second "Lady Chatterly's Lover" and "Straw Dogs", as I have been watching these with my 14 y/o daughter (she's studying social justice issues and films/books that have been censored/banned due to not meeting the shifting/arbitrary PC standards of the day).
-IainB (October 20, 2015, 10:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

The point was missed in all of the text that was thrown at the ill perceived problem.  That stuff is in general basement worthy.  That's my point.  I really don't care about what is posted... just the fact that it was shoehorned in.  And with that, and more ad hominems and general trying to be witticisms that really miss the point, I'm out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version