ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (109/182) > >>

kyrathaba:
After (came out 2012) was a B+ movie that could have been grade A if it'd had better production/casting.

Though not a movie per se, I've been enjoying the sci-fi series "Extant", featuring Halle Berry.

wraith808:

Trust (2011)

Stellar cast, especially the lead actress.  Very hard to watch at times, but a very good movie.

Excerpt from Review by Roger Ebert:

The bravest thing about David Schwimmer’s "Trust" is that it doesn’t try to simplify. It tells its story of a 14-year-old girl and a predatory pedophile as a series of repercussions in which rape is only the first, and possibly not the worst, tragedy to strike its naive and vulnerable victim. It’s easy to imagine how this story could have been exploited and dumbed down. It works instead with intelligence and sympathy. "Trust" doesn’t offer soothing solutions. Annie will survive, but has been damaged perhaps more by the aftermath than by the rape itself. The movie is merciless in depicting the methods by which pedophile predators operate; Charlie is the embodiment of evil. But society is lacking in instinctive sympathy and tact for Annie, and society isn’t supposed to be evil. Catherine Keener does a warm, unobtrusive job of loving and comforting her daughter, but that’s not enough — not when her husband grows more concerned with vengeance than with healing. It is all too tortuous and complicated. Liana Liberato does such a poignant job of showing how, and why. She has three scenes in particular where her wounded feelings spill out in words of anguish, and they are so well-written and well-acted that they’re heartbreaking. David Schwimmer has made one of the year’s best films: Powerfully emotional, yes, but also very perceptive.

--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
After (came out 2012) was a B+ movie that could have been grade A if it'd had better production/casting.

Though not a movie per se, I've been enjoying the sci-fi series "Extant", featuring Halle Berry.
-kyrathaba (September 22, 2015, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

While checking out Extant on the CBS site I noticed they came out with Limitless.  I enjoyed the movie.  But it was yet another great premise where the implementation does not deliver all it could.  Just from the trailers from the Limitless TV series I can tell it is an action show where somehow the guy's super intelligence allows him to do unusual stuff with his body.  It does not make sense.  Muscle stamina is built up through training.  You do not become bionic just because you got smart.

A really super intelligent person would not be caught dead jumping in front of trains or down fire escapes.  He would manipulate some Special Forces guy with big muscles into doing it for him.  :)

But it still may be interesting to watch if I am smart enough to see it for free.  The CBS watch online for $6 a month might not be such a bad deal except they explicitly exempt NFL games.  The "all" in "all access" should be "quite a bit of the stuff we've got access but not the stuff you really want most.. for $6/mo")

Edit: apparently if you wait until the next day you can watch some stuff for free.  Anyway I watched the Limitless pilot.  It was interesting.  Often the pilot is good even if the series isn't.  I hope they have some good writers because it is an interesting premise.  Are there any script writers left since Reality TV?  Or maybe they are using the AI from writers long dead captured in some cave like Landru or something.

bit:
Screen rez question for anyone please...
This show was user-edited (i.e. 'hard wired') to give quarter-screen playback.
It's built-in. How would I get it to show just the video in full-screen?

4wd:
How would I get it to show just the video in full-screen?-bit (September 23, 2015, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Via streaming?

Use VLC, Media->Open Network Stream->paste in Youtube link.

Go to Tools->Effects & Filters->Video Effects->Geometry and enable Interactive Zoom.

Movies you've seen lately

Click Hide to hide the controls after you're done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version