ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (108/182) > >>

bit:
^Yes, it's fun to post the exciting ones that really reach out and grab your imagination.^^
skunk rescue by cop
human 'black & white' meets... ...animal kingdom 'black & white' :)
cops rescue another skunk in trouble (gosh-darn those tasty yogurt cups!)

cop frees baby skunk from yogurt container
(Yumm, yogurt! Oops! It's dark in here!)

bit:
Cellular 2004 which was given a remake into the Hong Kong film Connected 2008.
Both are energizers with nonstop action that never gets tiresome.
-bit (September 09, 2015, 11:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't seen this film.  So I have no idea if this review is on the mark.  But generally this site is a good resource for Hong Kong movie reviews.  I have read it for many years.  It also has bios with pics of many HK and Chinese actors to complement sites like AsianWiki and d-addicts.

Edit:  Also if you hate Wong Jing films http://lovehkfilm.com is the site for you.  :)

-MilesAhead (September 10, 2015, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ratings do matter, but I really enjoyed Connected and thought it was an xlnt film, and if I may say so, I think ^reviewer Kozo's long-winded rating fits himself more than the film. :)
Or, let's be fair, Kozo describes it as "perfunctory, and the acting is overdone with a capital "O", but the whole thing manages to work in spite of its own rampant stupidity. 'Connected' isn't quality, but it's fun."
Sorry to disagree, but the 'Connected' I saw was delightful, exciting, well-acted, brilliant, as I put it in an earlier ^post, an 'energizer' with 'non-stop action'.
Kozo comes across to me more like an amateur headhunter Performing Arts critic.
I get the feeling Kozo wants me to attribute to himself, the excellence of qualities he claims are so sadly lacking in 'Connected', b/c I've seen 'Connected', with good English subtitles, and I liked it no end.

MilesAhead:
@bit it is too bad LoveHKFilm only updates a few times a year these days.  It seems that many of the asian review sites have shut down recently.  Kung Fu Cinema and Kung Fu Cult Cinema are both gone. LoveAsianFilm never seems to update anymore.  They just change the picture periodically.  The good old days of Hong Kong Cinema when Shu Qi was a teenager will never come again.

Afa LoveHKFilm goes it is not so much the reviews being right as done with humor.  Also in addition to hating Wong Jing the site owner was an early Shu Qi supporter when she was being criticized for getting by on her looks and having no acting skills.  She has come full circle from demonstrating her acting abilities to silence the critics to being so popular she can now "phone in" many of her parts.  She is cranking them out to get the bucks.  Approaching 40 she may as well while the looks last.

I was thinking of starting a thread of quirky Asian films, if I can think of more than two.  :)

bit:
@MilesAhead I don't know any of those websites you name, so I'm unfamiliar with them.
That would be a cool idea, any kind of an Asian films thread.
The way I often find good Asian films is to start with a good film I already know, and see what other films were done by the same Producer or with any of the same actors.
Or sometimes a film by a western company may be cloned by an asian one, or vice-versa, which often works out quite well.
Or I'll see a review linking to a trailer and then check it out with rotten tomatoes or asian wiki. :)

MilesAhead:
@MilesAhead I don't know any of those websites you name, so I'm unfamiliar with them.
That would be a cool idea, any kind of an Asian films thread.
The way I often find good Asian films is to start with a good film I already know, and see what other films were done by the same Producer or with any of the same actors.
Or sometimes a film by a western company may be cloned by an asian one, or vice-versa, which often works out quite well.
Or I'll see a review linking to a trailer and then check it out with rotten tomatoes or asian wiki. :)
-bit (September 20, 2015, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have started one here:

Quirky Asian Movies

I put "quirky" because they are often the most interesting.  What you were saying about finding movies.. what I liked about the Stephen Chow films is he used an ensemble cast.  The guy who plays a gambling promoter in one flick may be a soccer coach in another.  Speaking of which, Shaolin Soccer is one of my all time favorite flicks.  But you have to get the 112 minute version.  Several of the American releases chop off the beginning where the soccer star takes a bribe to throw the match.  Without that the whole basis of the plot is messed up.  Also a very funny scene featuring the girl who sells the rolls at the street stand is cut out.  They really butcher it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version