ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (105/182) > >>

tomos:
Victoria - set in Berlin nightime, mostly in (broken) English.
Unusual movie - it's filmed in one take (!) so it's set in real time. Starts out in a club (too much strobe-lighting for me), moves onto the streets.
A wee bit slow maybe in the first third, but still enjoyable, and when it really gets going, it does a good job of it ;)

I'd highly recommend it. I enjoy going to films knowing as little as possible about them, so if you want to know more, follow the link.

Deozaan:
Victoria - set in Berlin nightime, mostly in (broken) English.
Unusual movie - it's filmed in one take (!)
-tomos (June 19, 2015, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strange that you should mention that. I'd never heard of a feature-length movie filmed in a single take until last week. My wife checked out Russian Ark (2002) from the library. It is also filmed in one take. I was curious to see how it turned out. But my wife started it without me and found it too strange within the first few minutes, so she stopped it and (later) took it back without either of us watching it.

The back of the DVD case made it sound like it was about time travel. I don't get the same idea from IMDB's description of the film:

A 19th century French aristocrat, notorious for his scathing memoirs about life in Russia, travels through the Russian State Hermitage Museum and encounters historical figures from the last 200+ years.-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318034/
--- End quote ---

4wd:
Strange that you should mention that. I'd never heard of a feature-length movie filmed in a single take until last week.-Deozaan (June 19, 2015, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's also La casa muda, if you like horror, which is done in Long Takew format.  Watched it about a year ago and enjoyed it.

PVC-1 isn't too bad either.

tomos:
^^ I remember watching The Player (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105151/) in the cinema when it came out ('92 or '93) and the first take lasted a few minutes and there was a lot of fuss about it at the time. I didnt know technology (and direction) had advanced so much.

Tbh, while watching the film [Victoria] I kept forgetting about the concept - and then remembering it again. That's a compliment to the acting and storyline. It was over two hours, and I tend to get very restless unless a film is really gripping - but this one was. FWIW it's very real life, young one in party mode in a club, meets a bunch of lads celebrating a birthday, who turn out to be decent enough blokes, if not averse to a bit of petty crime. Later a real criminal element gets involved ...

MilesAhead:
I remember watching The Player
-tomos (June 20, 2015, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I enjoyed that flick.  Tim Robbins starred in some funny send-up flicks.  Another was Bob Roberts where he costarred with Gore Vidal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version