ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (103/182) > >>

zenlike:
Here's my list of Great movies I have seen in the last year on netflix.

1. Old Boy (2003) Not the remake. but the original (if you don't like subs the remake is still good)

2. Dredd (2012)  this was a great 80's style action movie I would stand it up against any classics, we need more like this  :Thmbsup:

3. End of watch  (2012) Great cop movie gotta see this !

4. Your Highness (2011) ok kinda a racy comedy and I will admit I am a child and laugh at some silly stuff, so maybe not for people that hate crude humor. but made me laugh pretty hard in a few spots.

Those are the best 4 I have seen in the last year check them out .

bit:
Rachel & Jun are a young American-Japanese couple (Rachel's American; Jun's Japanese) who've posted a ton of vids on their vlog.
This is a 3-part vid set (1st two vids by Rachel; 3rd vid by Jun) about Rachel, titled 'My (Rachel's) most embarrassing moment in Japan' (actually, in her entire life, right after she and Jun first got married);
My most embarrassing moment in Japan (part 1)
My most embarrassing moment in Japan (part 2)
-and-
Rachel's husband Jun's side of it (part 3), which he calls Hakone trip from my perspective

bit:
Real (2013) is a Japanese psychological thriller rated at 9.04/10 with 95 votes.

"Koichi (Takeru Sato) & Atsumi (Haruka Ayase) have been friends since their childhood days and they eventually became lovers. About one year ago, Atsumi attempted to commit suicide and fell into a coma afterwards. Koichi, desperate to know why Atsumi attempted suicide, takes part in a new medical procedure that involves the central nervous system. Koichi will enter the subconscious mind of Atsumi through the medical procedure. When Koichi enters the subconscious mind of Atsumi, shes asks Koichi to find a picture of a "plesiosaur" she drew as a child. The drawing is the key that brings back a suppressed childhood memory that brings their minds together."

I've seen this kind of mind-diving thing done USA Hollywood-style with the usual American film studio overdose of eye-candy and senseless violence, but Real does it Japanese-style with impressive special effects and an awesome plot-twist.

4wd:
The Groundstar Conspiracy and Project X both based on the novels of L. P. Daviesw.

Both are based on the loss of identity, (in one form or another), of the main characters.

bit:
Thank you everyone, I'm glad people are enjoying my recommendations.  
I am enjoying yours as well. :Thmbsup:

Hitsudan Hostess
"The story is based on the bestselling autobiography of 25-year-old Rie Saito, who became a number-one hostess in Ginza (Ginza is the top such establishment in Tokyo, so IOW, she is the most popular hostess in all of Japan) despite being deaf. "Hitsudan Hostess" was published by Kobunsha and so far (as of 2010) has sold over 200,000 copies. The book depicts the life of Rie Saito, who was born in Aomori and became deaf at the age of 2 due to an illness (meningitis)."

An older female 'hostess proprietor' (one who entertains wealthy clients in swank but morally proper high-class pub-type settings) hires Rie as a discouraged and unemployed young deaf woman with no hope of future employment prospects.
Rie becomes overwhelmingly popular and successful with the clientele, but deep down inside she wishes she could somehow reconcile with the disapproving mother who loved and raised her to become such a remarkable person.
At the beginning and end of the show, there is a brief 1 minute cameo film short of the real Rie Saito.

Update: real-life news about the real Rie Saito:
Kita Ward Assembly adopts hearing, speaking aids to help disabled legislators
"The Kita Ward Assembly, where deaf-mute Tokyo author Rie Saito was elected in the quadrennial unified elections in April, has become the first legislature in the nation to develop a system that allows lawmakers with hearing or speech impediments to participate in sessions in real time.

The text-to-speech conversion system announced Tuesday makes use of wireless devices, the public address system, and personal computers so disabled lawmakers can interact with other members in a more seamless fashion."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version