ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (101/182) > >>

40hz:
@Ren - Start with their books. Poppy Z. has done some new Lovecraftian inspired stories that stand up to the originals. They're not the usual pastiches either. They do interesting things with Lovecraft's concepts. But they're fully modern treatments. Beyond that, all her(?) stuff is good. Excellent writer. Probably the best thing currently going for modern horror.

Tom Ligotti's stuff is flat-out surreal, to say nothing of eerie and weird. He'll take a simple event or phenomena and spin it into something beyond sinister at the drop of a hat. His appropriately named The Nightmare Factory is a good starting anthology.

Matheson is famous for the Twilight Zone episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.. (That's the one with the airliner and the gremlin.) His anthology by the same name is one place to start. He's one terrific writer, and more mainstream than the previous two.

Renegade:
Matheson is famous for the Twilight Zone episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.. (That's the one with the airliner and the gremlin.) His anthology by the same name is one place to start. He's one terrific writer, and more mainstream than the previous two.
-40hz (February 13, 2015, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! I remember that episode clearly. It was brilliant!

I'll need to follow up on all that. Books are out of the questions now --- I just threw out many hundreds of $$$ of retail value of books last night, and I'll be doing that to more as we prepare to move.

Mirrormask (2005)

@40hz - I think you will enjoy this. See below.

This is a very British style film. If you hate British styles, you'll hate this, and if you love 'em, you may well like this.

Now, as a British film, I find many make me want to commit suicide rather than watch another second. Some are just boring to tears and entirely push you to suicide. Some British film makers love to mirror their weather. :P

Then... There is that other class of British films that is simply brilliant or bizarre - one of the two, and sometimes both.

This film will likely get you to pull out the razor blades in the first 20 minutes or so, but don't slice your wrists quite so quickly -- it gets a lot better! ;)

What is this film? A mix of:

* The Dark Crystal
* Alice in Wonderland
* The Wizard of Oz
* The Wall
But it's more than that. It mixes in some kind of bizarrely organic clock-work world with a dark element that isn't as hopeful as steam punk.

The art and CGI is spectacularly well done.

I do NOT recommend this for people that like big tits and sex scenes, or lots of shoot 'em up, or mainstream films.

This is squarely in the "art" category, but not so far into it that it's just stupid, as many "art" films are.

Take that for what you will and from my past recommendations and likes.

Oh... and one last thing...

If you like to get high... yeah... do it. You'll like this. Very trippy~! :P ;D  :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Just watched Gone Girl.

Great story, though it focused a bit overmuch on the sensationalist and titillating rather than emphasizing the substance of the story.  Less is more, in my opinion.  And that seems to be a lost art.

But I would recommend it, with a definite caveat that it is on the more harsh end of the R scale.

bit:
Atsu Hime
50 episodes.
Based on the true life story of Tenshōin, an influential and extraordinary Japanese princess who lived from 1836 to 1883.
-bit (January 23, 2015, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good site.  I've been watching some Asian movies etc. on YouTube and many emanate from there.   :Thmbsup:
-MilesAhead (January 24, 2015, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm up to Episode 37, which also now includes scenes with Horikita Maki as the Imperial Princess (not to detract from the others, and especially Miyazaki Aoi as Lady Tenshoin), and this historical drama series continues to impress beyond all expectations.  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Wyrmwood

Zombie B movie with an awesome Ned Kelly allusion. Aussie flick. ;)

It gets funkier.

Ranks right up there with "Dead Alive" - a Kiwi flick that came out a few decades ago. ;)

Some seriously messed up black humour in there.  :Thmbsup:

The educational point that I took away was Aussies say "ay" where Canadians say "eh". Very intellectual stuff!

But still fun.

Hint, there's a twist in this flick that isn't in many stories you'll hear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version