ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (86/182) > >>

40hz:
^Anything P.K. Dick did in that era with his "Valis" concept is both intriguing - and ultimately disappointing. Radio Free Albemuth as a book ranged from barely tolerable to OK. The movie was...um...mostly less so. Sinclair Lewis's It Can't Happen Here handled that theme far better, and frankly, far more believably - no scifi or fancy tech needed to pull it off. Lewis's book should be required reading for every schoolchild in America. (I'm not holding my breath for that however.) And I'd love for someone to make it into a major motion picture. (Not holding my breath for that one either.)

Oh well. Maybe someday some brave soul will do it as a web series while we're still able to. :huh:

If you like old movies, the 1942 Keeper of the Flame adapted from I.A.R. Wylie's novel of the same name is worth watching.

Tracy and Hepburn in an unusually dark and serious setting this time out. Was the unexpected and accidental death of a beloved national war hero (and rising political juggernaut) as simple as that? Or was there something far more sinister behind it all? Very cool noire flick that was quite out of character for the movies of that period, even if there still was some of that 40s zaniness in places. Recommended. (This story is just begging for a remake.)

Also check out the big 1964 surprise Seven Days in May with screenplay by none other than Rod Serling.

A ballsy cautionary movie made in an era where you didn't talk, let alone think, about things like this as far as the United States was concerned. (What are you? One of those Commie sympathizers or something? Somebody ought to report you to the FBI, buddy!)

The official trailer is one of the biggest spoilers going. If you're in a rush (or the tl:dr type who wants to skip watching the entire film) this trailer will effectively give you the entire story in 3-minutes 43-seconds flat. You have been warned! :tellme:

:Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Maybe it's also because I had trouble with how the story seemed to present virtually every male as a sexual predator
-40hz (December 16, 2014, 09:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had the same reaction watching it.  But then I told myself this is about what can happen among the elite.  There's no check on their appetites.  The old canine does it because he can bit.  But even if a film has cliches it is refreshing somehow that they are cliches from another culture.  That's one reason I enjoy watching the original with subs.  To be fair, I didn't watch the English language "cover" flick.  But I did see both versions of Insomnia.  The Al Pacino flick is a totally different movie than the foreign film.  About all they had in common was snow and murder.  :)

Edvard:
Well, just came from a pre-release showing of 'The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies'.  

Though I long ago abandoned any hope that Peter Jackson and company would follow the books in any semblance of exactivity (and who's to say the movies would have been better for it if they had?), but I was not disappointed.  If you're a Tolkien fan and have already seen the others, don't miss this one, it's just as good (or, if you're not a fan, just as bad) as the previous installments. 'Nuff said.

Not in 3D, but it was free because my son's orthodontist does a "customer appreciation" event every year where he rents out the entire theater and only customers/patients and family can go to see the latest hit.  Call me a cheap date if you will, but hey, I got to go to a movie with my wife (looooong overdue), and my son thoroughly enjoyed it.
 :Thmbsup:

Edvard:
RE: Phillip K. Dick...
I went through a phase where I devoured everything he did that I could find.  Imagine my surprise when I caught wind that Disney got the rights to produce an animated version of "King of the Elves".  I thoroughly enjoyed the story as a "man completely loses touch with reality -> LOL PLOT TWIST" type of short read.  I think it would do MUCH better live-acted, but I don't have an empire built on an animated rodent, so what do I know?

Anyways, I love a good PKD read, the films hit or miss, and I pray nobody in Hollywood gets a wild hair to start cinematizing Kafka.   :o

40hz:
I pray nobody in Hollywood gets a wild hair to start cinematizing Kafka.
-Edvard (December 17, 2014, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Edvard - Too late! It happened in 1962.

Unedited and long talk by Wells on the making of The Trial (along with other things) can be found here. Wells is a fascinating character and well worth listening to. That voice alone is worth it.

And a full list of others (mostly not by Hollywood USA) can be found here.

Oh yes, the BBC took a stab at Kafka in 1993 as well:

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version