ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (79/182) > >>

mahesh2k:
A Million ways to die in the west
Lucy
Guardian of the Galaxy
Edge of Tomorrow
Seven
Children who chase lost voices

4wd:
Predestination - which has the most convoluted temporal paradox I've ever seen in a movie.

Renegade:
Oooo! That looks good!

40hz:
I just discovered my VHS player works! So, rumaging through some boxes in the basement, I found a few dozen gems I haven't watched in years. Last nite it was a 92 minute HBO original called Cast a Deadly Spell.

Movies you've seen lately

If you cross LA Confidential with the private detective Spencer, add a heavy dose of noir - and throw in Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos for good measure - you get this: Los Angeles in the 40's, with wise-cracking detectives, foxy dames, and snappy dialog, all in a city where eldritch magic has replaced political corruption as the real public enemy.

If you're a Lovecraft fan (the chief protagonist is a detective by the same name), or a fan of noir detective movies, you'll be happy with this one. Dozens of genre cliches plus inside jokes and references will keep you snickering knowingly. Beyond that, it's a very entertaining yarn. Which should come as no surprise since it's from the same producers who brought us Aliens and The Terminator.

Normally, I wouldn't have cared for the fuzziness and muted sound (how soon we forget!) of VHS. But in this case it almost added something 'vintage' to the whole 40s vibe of the movie.

Watch it for laughs, watch it for ftaghn, and watch it because Julianne Moore has never looked better. ;)

Recommended - but HBO please! - get this remastered to disc pronto? You're leaving money on the table not offering it on contemporary media.

wraith808:
^ I love that film!  Wish I could still get it... it's one of the best treatments of magic noir that I've seen in film... with Lovecraft to boot!  :Thmbsup:

"Death by a thousand paper cuts!"  Nasty spell!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version