ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (64/182) > >>

Renegade:
The Host
 (see attachment in previous post)
At almost 2 hours long, it is long, but by no means drawn out. They use those 2 hours very well.

If you like sci-fi, chances are you'll love this. -Renegade (June 14, 2014, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Count me out, much prefer the Korean version: The Host
-4wd (June 23, 2014, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

The stories are totally different - same title, but not the same story.

I did see the Korean one, but I didn't know that it was also put out in English.

4wd:
The Host
 (see attachment in previous post)
At almost 2 hours long, it is long, but by no means drawn out. They use those 2 hours very well.

If you like sci-fi, chances are you'll love this. -Renegade (June 14, 2014, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Count me out, much prefer the Korean version: The Host
-4wd (June 23, 2014, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

The stories are totally different - same title, but not the same story.

I did see the Korean one, but I didn't know that it was also put out in English.
-Renegade (June 23, 2014, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Must remember to use more emoticons.

In order:
I know they're different, (only watched about 10 minutes of the one you mention before I gave up on it).
The Korean film doesn't come in English language, which would completely ruin it as has English dubs done to countless previous films.

:)

MilesAhead:
The Korean film doesn't come in English language, which would completely ruin it as has English dubs done to countless previous films.
--- End quote ---

I'm with you there.  The only time I prefer a dub is when it's part of making a farce funnier.  Not only dubbing but I can't understand why they butcher some films during the American release edit.  I think I bought 3 DVD versions of Shaolin Soccer before I got the good 112 minute version.  The other American edits cut out the part about Gold Leg throwing the match.  Which is only the impetus for the entire plot.  :(

Thankfully the BluRay version was the good cut.  That has to be my favorite Stephen Chow film.

The Asian martial arts flick where the American release was actually better was Black Mask.  The hip hop sound track made the flick more exciting.

Not many American movie buffs are into Lau Ching-wan.  He played the police Sargent Rock in Mask.  But he is the lead in many Hong Kong flicks.  But I digress..  :)

40hz:
Agree. I generally dislike dubs. I'll take subtitling any day.

Especially for animations. There's often some low key censorship when doing English dubs on that. Possibly because these distribution morons think all animated features are intended "for children" and are afraid of running afoul of the self-proclaimed "Mama Bears" (don't even get me started on those people!) and that dismal fourth specter Ebenezer Scrooge didn't mention, who was called: The Ghost of Political Correctness. Or 'Hypocrisy' if you prefer its nickname. 

So skip the dubs - gimme subs. :Thmbsup:

panzer:
Let's Make Money:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NETxzILPokw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version