ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (53/182) > >>

mouser:
have to disagree with your reading it as a comedy.  I love those fake comedy documentaries (This is Spinal Tap remains the pinnacle of the genre).  This movie may have been funny to you but I don't think there's a chance in hell the film makers intended it as a comedy.

MilesAhead:
have to disagree with your reading it as a comedy.  I love those fake comedy documentaries (This is Spinal Tap remains the pinnacle of the genre).  This movie may have been funny to you but I don't think there's a chance in hell the film makers intended it as a comedy.
-mouser (March 22, 2014, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of Mockumentaries, one of the funniest I've seen is Fear of a Black Hat It's kind of in the realm of CB4 but funnier and more profane.

40hz:
Perhaps the word "comedy" wasn't what was trying to say...

Perhaps the word "prank" is closer to how I'd characterize it - except it was never presented as a "real" documentary - so I'd have to default to calling it a comedy too.

Matt Avant was quoted elsewhere as saying:

“We do take a little poke at Scientology, but we never say it, we never address it. But not necessarily just Scientology–just sort of that kind of cultish mentality. The fact that somebody can just kind of generate–and we’ve talked about this before–is that really, there’s enough philosophy and folklore and propaganda that could be associated with Lunopolis and the Church of Lunology.

If we wanted to, we could really start this organization. We could start a Church of Lunology, and people would probably sign up for it.”
--- End quote ---

This reminds me a lot of the whole Sub-Genius/Hayduke/Illuminatus inspired "head games" that used to be played to make ultra-conservative orgs and government entities utterly paranoid back in the 60s and early 70s. There was a large "in joke" element to it all. If you "got it," you were laughing your tail off watching things like the FBI running down organizations like the Erisian Liberation Front, The Hemlock Fellowship, and the John Dillinger Died for You Society. Spreading bogus rumours, creating crazy but real sounding organizations, sending lunatic letters out on official stationary filched from the actual offices (late night office cleaning jobs were very popular ways to obtain those - nobody counted or locked up letterhead or envelopes back then!) - it was the thing before Internet pranking became the norm.

So no...I think they may well have intended it to be the best story they could write and shoot. But at the end of the day, it's still comedy (in the classic sense) to me.
 8)

--------------------------------

Interview with Lunopolis director/writer Matt Avant here.

40hz:
Apollo 18.

Finally got to see it all the way thorough.

It's...not bad actually. Some pretty good low-key acting on the part of the astronaut characters in a few scenes. It could have been a lot better however. And all this "found footage" schtick is getting pretty old. But Apollo-18 is nowhere near as badly done as some reviewers would have you think.

So, for a cheap no-brainer bit of sci-fi inspired throw-away horror, it's moderately entertaining - even if you can guess the ending from about 20 minutes into the movie. After that, the final "big reveal" is pretty ho-hum. And it's also one that's been used before.

Possibly worth a watch if you don't have anything better to do (I'll admit to a little web surfing while watching it after about 45 minutes in) - or there's nothing else on.
 8)

mouser:
Recently rewatched "Angel Heart".
I love the acting, directing, dialog, and cinemetography in this movie.  Very underrated imho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version