ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (25/182) > >>

Vurbal:
Oh, for Lovecraft fans (especially old AD&D players):-Renegade (August 04, 2013, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ooh! Me! Me!
Wait, did you just call me old? I'll have you know I didn't get Basic D&D until Christmas of 1983 which means I had to buy my original cover PHB used. That makes me a kid compared to most of the other Champions players I know. I'm certainly not old enough to remember any version of Deities and Demigods with Cthulu in it.... if something like that existed.... which I wouldn't know.....

Just get off my lawn!

Vurbal:
However, I think I'll have to disagree with King that Lovecraft didn't like people. His voluminous correspondence (approximately 100,000 letters, many of which contained several pages of very small writing) with friends, fellow authors, and fans seems to fly in the face of that. If Lovecraft were alive today he'd probably be the quintessential Facebook addict.
-40hz (August 04, 2013, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually I think that was me misquoting him. IIRC what he said was something like Lovecraft didn't like to deal with other people in person so he didn't have enough opportunity to observe and develop a feel for it. I don't have that problem. Most people are bad writers because the write the way the talk. I'm a horrible conversationalist because I talk the way I write.

And if anyone does want some good advice on writing there's a lot of it in that book. It helped me improve my writing immensely and I don't write fiction.

Vurbal:
I'm wondering why people are advocating Del Toro for a Lovecraft film... I've seen some of his work, and he's good, but Lovecraft? -Renegade (August 04, 2013, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
It wouldn't make any more sense to to Hellboy like Lovecraft than to do Pan's Labyrinth like Hellboy. A lot of the design elements just made me think he was a fan. Since At The Mountains Of Madness is his dream project that seems right.

Have you seen The Devil's Backbone? It's a ghost story, so not exactly the same, but between that, Hellboy, and Pan's Labyrinth I'm satisfied he can do it. He hasn't put them together in a single film but he hasn't done Lovecraft yet. Given how giddy he is about it and his refusal to do it unless he gets to make it right he's probably our best shot at this point. Based on what he's said, though, it's a very long shot.
-Vurbal (August 04, 2013, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok. I'm starting to see why there now. I've not see Pan's Labyrinth or The Devil's Backbone. I'm just not into subtitles. Been there - done that - tired of 'em. It's got to be one DAMN good flick for me to bother with subtitles.

-Renegade (August 04, 2013, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hard to say on the Devil's Backbone although I seem to recall it being more quiet creepy than dialog. I don't trust my memory when it comes to details like that so don't take my word for it. I would definitely recommend Pan's Labyrinth. It's not horror so much as dark and atmospheric fantasy. My wife loved it and she acts like she's allergic to subtitles.

40hz:
I'd think that one of these fellows would do a better job:

* Terry Gilliam
* Ralph Bakshi
* Gregory Hoblit (Directed "Fallen", probably one of the best horror films of all time)
Bakshi has a twisted enough imagination to make things work. "Fritz! Fritz! They've killed Fritz!" - Hilariously twisted scene in "Wizards".

Terry Gilliam can warp darn near anything. He's an artist.
-Renegade (August 04, 2013, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not Terry Gilliam!!! He's jinxed! Nothing major he gets involved in ever seems to go anywhere. And since it doesn't ever seem to be the result of anything he did (i.e. stuff happens) I think he's jinxed. :tellme: :tellme: :tellme:

One way we could guarantee a film to never get made: Let the briliant Terry Gilliam direct, the masterful Joss Whedon write the script, and for the coup de grĂ¢ce cast the lovely Summer Glau in there someplace. Ever notice how any time one of those three show up the project suddenly experiences an incredible string of bad luck? :tellme:

Not Bakshi either. Whatever early brilliance he showed soon got overwhelmed by his treating everything as one big goof and going for the money. Sellout! (I still have a bad taste in my mouth from what he did with his cartoon version of The Hobbit.)

Greg Hoblit...hmm...hmm...

Gonna have to think about that. Might work. Just might work.

Another candidate might be Joseph Ruben who hit exactly the right balance of show & hide (plus a low-key but eerily dark look) with the 2008 sleeper The Forgotten.. SPOILER WARNING - don't read if you want to be surprised.One of the best alien abduction/psychological thriller hybrids ever made. Especially since you got halfway through the film before even that much was revealed.
Cool flick too. Highly Recommended.

Movies you've seen lately

Renegade:

Wait, did you just call me old? I'll have you know I didn't get Basic D&D until Christmas of 1983 which means I had to buy my original cover PHB used. That makes me a kid compared to most of the other Champions players I know. I'm certainly not old enough to remember any version of Deities and Demigods with Cthulu in it.... if something like that existed.... which I wouldn't know.....

Just get off my lawn!
-Vurbal (August 04, 2013, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahahaa!

I have an original Deities & Demigods with all that in it. Though I bought it well after it came out - found it in a store one day and snatched it up real quick.

(I also have Chainmail in my collection.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version