ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (24/182) > >>

Renegade:
Oh, for Lovecraft fans (especially old AD&D players):

SpoilerTHE BEAST
He exists
THE BEAST
On the astral plane
THE BEAST
He has the availability
To enter our universe

(solo - The Cretin)

THE BEAST
Psionic attack
THE BEAST
Chaotic evil
THE BEAST
Highly intelligent
And unpredictable

THE BEAST
Gaping cunts
THE BEAST
Pulsating penis
THE BEAST
In this shape he'll mate
With mankind to create the spawn

THE SPAWN
They will breed
THE SPAWN
With human beings
THE SPAWN
They will turn this world
Into man's worst nightmare

THE BEAST
He will rule
THE BEAST
Ore his spawn
THE BEAST
They will be his servants
In a burning world of doom

(2nd solo - Cretin
3rd solo - Anus
4th solo - Cretin
5th solo - Anus)

THE BEAST
400 hit points
THE BEAST
Strength 25
THE BEAST
Charisma - 7
If you meet his eye you'll die

THE BEAST
Multiple attack
THE BEAST
Monk bard nil
THE BEAST
Giant mass of legs
Feelers and stalked organs

(6th solo - Cretin
7th solo - Cretin/Anus)

Vurbal:
I'm wondering why people are advocating Del Toro for a Lovecraft film... I've seen some of his work, and he's good, but Lovecraft? -Renegade (August 04, 2013, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
It wouldn't make any more sense to to Hellboy like Lovecraft than to do Pan's Labyrinth like Hellboy. A lot of the design elements just made me think he was a fan. Since At The Mountains Of Madness is his dream project that seems right.

Have you seen The Devil's Backbone? It's a ghost story, so not exactly the same, but between that, Hellboy, and Pan's Labyrinth I'm satisfied he can do it. He hasn't put them together in a single film but he hasn't done Lovecraft yet. Given how giddy he is about it and his refusal to do it unless he gets to make it right he's probably our best shot at this point. Based on what he's said, though, it's a very long shot.

40hz:
I'd still take Del Toro though.
-Vurbal (August 04, 2013, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah...the more I think about it, the more it sounds right. Ok.. Del Toro it is. And I'd like to see At the Mountains of Madness get made so badly that I don't think I really care who (within reason) makes it at this point.

But it's gonna be tricky not showing too much - or explaining things away too neatly. From Lovecraft's perspective, the 'unknown' he was speaking of was intrinsically unknowable. That's a tough thing to convey in a movie - although Picnic at Hanging Rock managed to pull it off IMHO.

However, I think I'll have to disagree with King that Lovecraft didn't like people. His voluminous correspondence (approximately 100,000 letters, many of which contained several pages of very small writing) with friends, fellow authors, and fans seems to fly in the face of that. If Lovecraft were alive today he'd probably be the quintessential Facebook addict.

I suspect it was more that he (as a self-styled "elderly New England gentleman") was very embarrassed by his poverty. And because he couldn't properly receive and entertain visitors in the way he felt he should, that made him shy away from society. Especially since issuing reciprocal social invitations was the norm back then.

People who had met Lovecraft (plus his wife) had nothing but positive things to say about his elegant manners, friendliness, and personal warmth whenever he was in a face to face conversation.

He was, however, put out by rude and loud behavior, And he could be dismissive (according to some) towards those he considered to be socially 'inferior' types. But I hardly think that is a clear indication that he disliked people on the whole.

I know several people who are warm and vivacious and confident when corresponding or using social media - but who come across as being cold and ill at ease in a F2F situation. And closet prejudice and social snobbery aren't such rare behaviors that Lovecraft's manifesting them should set him apart as much different from most people you'll meet. Make a deliberately naive comment in a conversation with a group of people who fancy themselves 'sophisticated' and you'll soon see just how many otherwise 'educated' people are guilty of harboring similar attitudes to those they deem 'beneath' them.

So I'm gonna have to say Mr. King (who I do admire btw) missed the call when it came to HPL. :)

Renegade:
I'm wondering why people are advocating Del Toro for a Lovecraft film... I've seen some of his work, and he's good, but Lovecraft? -Renegade (August 04, 2013, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
It wouldn't make any more sense to to Hellboy like Lovecraft than to do Pan's Labyrinth like Hellboy. A lot of the design elements just made me think he was a fan. Since At The Mountains Of Madness is his dream project that seems right.

Have you seen The Devil's Backbone? It's a ghost story, so not exactly the same, but between that, Hellboy, and Pan's Labyrinth I'm satisfied he can do it. He hasn't put them together in a single film but he hasn't done Lovecraft yet. Given how giddy he is about it and his refusal to do it unless he gets to make it right he's probably our best shot at this point. Based on what he's said, though, it's a very long shot.
-Vurbal (August 04, 2013, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok. I'm starting to see why there now. I've not see Pan's Labyrinth or The Devil's Backbone. I'm just not into subtitles. Been there - done that - tired of 'em. It's got to be one DAMN good flick for me to bother with subtitles.

Renegade:
And I'd like to see At the Mountains of Madness get made so badly that I don't think I really care who (within reason) makes it at this point.-40hz (August 04, 2013, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was kind of hoping that it would get made well! ;D

(Sorry - that was just such a wonderfully low-hanging dangling participle that I had to pick it~! :P )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version