ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (166/182) > >>

wraith808:
Standouts to me - Totally Agree on Upgrade.  Liked the original Tomb Raider but not this one so much.  Totally agree on Man on Fire- was surprised that it was rotten on RT.  Thought Man from UNCLE, Safe, Hancock, and IW were better than the ratings, and Dredd 01 a lot worse (guilty pleasure, but I can realize that it's not very good).  The others were the same, close enough not to quibble, or haven't seen.

IainB:
@Shades:
The movie Upgrade was very entertaining indeed. Still, 5 stars (out of a maximum of of five) is in my point of view too much. 3.5 to 4 stars would be better. Story line and acting was solid, but not great. However, how the movie was shot, that was very well done. Which is why I'm hovering between 3.5 to 4 stars.
Having said the above, as a SciFi fan, you definitely should see Upgrade. It won't disappoint.
-Shades (August 23, 2018, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, it probably won't disappoint SF fans. It had a good story.
Star rating is always likely to be subjective, of course. I was going to grade it lower than 5, but when it showed itself as simply rather good and entertaining "What if...?" SF, I bumped it up. If I had to use the FastForward button on my VLC media player for any movie, then I would downgrade it.
To explain: I'm a rather impatient viewer and begrudge spending my cognitive surplus on reading garbage (so I skim and speed-read wherever possible) or watching inferior movies. In my view, many/most movies seem to be inferior. So the inevitable FastForwarding results in the rating being reduced. With Upgrade, there was rarely a dull moment and I even used the Back button a few times, just to review how/what they had done.
Sometimes I come across a gem of a movie that bears repeated viewing - e.g., 2001 - Space Odyssey, or Amelie - because once is simply not enough.

wraith808:
I rate pretty similarly, and value thought-provoking ideas that show you what they mean, rather than telling you.  And sometimes it's nostalgia or production values.  But if I ever feel like I'm not enjoying the movie at certain times, I do vote down for those scenes.

panzer:
Avengers: Infinity War
Deadpool 2

4wd:
Stephanie

After a mysterious global crisis, a young girl is left alone to hide from a malevolent power that stalks her home. Her parents eventually return and the struggle begins to save their daughter.
--- End quote ---

Like one of the reviewers on IMDB says, "Don't read reviews before watching the film."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version