ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (162/182) > >>

Deozaan:
The Ten Commandments (1956)
was surprised how good most of this epic about Moses was. They were going mad with the colour too. (There's a restored version on archive.org )
-tomos (April 02, 2018, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link to the restored version of The Ten Commandments. They did a really nice job remastering it; it looked pretty good in HD, considering how old it is. :Thmbsup:

wraith808:

The Thinning

There's no Rotten Tomatoes score- presumably because it's a Youtube Red production.  My daughter just found out that we have Youtube Red because of the Google Music subscription, and suggested that we watch this.  I had my doubts - Logan Paul of Youtube fame plays one of the main characters.  With him in it, I was skeptical - after all the poster boy for bad youtubers that seemingly doesn't have reverence for nor take any thing seriously.  But it's actually a pretty serious thriller, and better than it has any right to be. I recommend it, strangely enough.

IainB:
Just watched Quatermass and the Pit - <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2HSbfeXeBs>
It was a 1958/59 B&W BBC TV serialisation in 6 parts -stuck together end-to-end in this YouTube video (3hrs 27mins.).
The sound synchronisation goes off a bit in the last couple of parts, but not so as you'd fail to get the plot.
It's rather good SF and ties together science, fiction, archaeology, ghosts, devils, poltergeists, aliens, black magic, telekinesis, bad acting, over-acting, the works. The end culminates in the commencement of a rapidly-spreading contagious mass racial purging (killing) of all those people in London and beyond who don't think the same and who use irony in their jokes. Well, iron comes into it, at any rate.

I saw this years ago in an old colour movie remake: Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
 - but I think the old BBC series might have been a bit better!    :Thmbsup:

Well worth a watch:

wraith808:

The latest by Woody Allen is at 31% on Rotten Tomatoes and that grade is well deserved.  It started out good... but fell down on the ending.  A bit predictable, but good performances from Jim Belushi, Kate Winslet, and surprisingly Justin Timberlake.  But at places, even they can't carry the script.  Not recommended.

mwb1100:
surprisingly Justin Timberlake
-wraith808 (June 09, 2018, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought I had seen him in several movies but it looks like just "Alpha Dog", which my recollection is that he did a really fine job there.  I also enjoy his comedic performances whenever he's on Saturday Night Live.  Anyway, while I'm not a fan of his music genre, I'm not surprised he would put in a good performance acting in a movie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version