ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (135/182) > >>

panzer:
The Shawshank Redemption

wraith808:
@Deozaan ^^: Hey, don't knock it. Some comments would seem to demonstrate that other forum members occasionally see amongst @panzer's excessively loquacious posts references to films that are quite interesting or that they had not known of before and liked them, or something.

Similarly, though I haven't checked, I seem to recall that it might have been he that also authored some comments with references to great vids, on the short vids thread. Anyway, whoever it was, I blame them because it caused me to waste a great deal of time looking at videos when I could have probably been doing something more useful.
-IainB (November 23, 2016, 03:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I actually agree with Deo, just to give an alternate supporting view.  It might be interesting to get a better sample.  When I come here and it's just a name without a recommendation, I just skip.

MilesAhead:
Allied

If I had known it was a WWII flick I probably would have passed.  I've seen way to many WWII films and TV shows.  But fortunately it was the espionage angle rather than a bunch of battles.  Also it had Brad Pitt to carry it on his shoulders.

All in all I would say it is more a "chick flick."  However enough people are shot and blown up to keep guys happy.  :)

SpoilerThe main reason I designate it a chick flick is the focus given to Brad Pitt's daughter taking her first steps.  Less attention was awarded Neil Armstrong's Lunar Ladder escapade.  A bit much.

wraith808:
I was recently on two 20 hour flights- first time in business class, then on the way back in economy.  First leg, recommended.  Second leg, not so much.  But during the flight, they had an impressive number of films for free.

Pete's Dragon

Great movie, and the unusual great remake.

Independence Day: Resurgence

Not as good as the first, and not even so good as a sequel, but an Ok movie in and of itself if you gave it some other name.  Too much money grabby vibes and definitely manipulative in regards to the old characters.

Morgan

Interesting premise (corporate troubleshooter must decide if a project involving an artificially created life form should be terminated - and the subject also), and interesting moral implications (is the lifeform truly a human?  when does that happen?  what rights does 'it' truly have), but too self aware and, dare I say it, pretentious for my tastes.  I tried to get through it, but it just became bogged down in the less than stellar implementation of the concept.

Central Intelligence

It was better than I thought it would be, and I had to stifle laughter out of respect for fellow passengers more than once.  The premise is rather far fetched, but what else do you expect?  The humor gets rather low brow at times, but again, what do you expect?  But it was fun to watch.

Jason Bourne

It's nothing new, but a lot more of the same.  How long can one intelligence agency be after one person without getting lucky once?  Well done, stylish, and great action scenes.  Just nothing new nor surprising in terms of plot.  But I had fun watching it.

There's only so much new you can watch, especially as I was supposed to be sleeping at some point.  So watched some old movies also to make sure that I didn't have to pay attention, including: All three Captain America movies (hold up very well to re-watch), Warrior (one of my favorite movies), Thor, both Avengers (still say the second one is a good movie), Ant-Man (great heist caper) and Guardians of the Galaxy (can't go wrong with that one).

There was one more new movie that I watched, but I can't even remember what it was, it was that bland.  I'll post it up if I remember.

4wd:

Morgan

Interesting premise (corporate troubleshooter must decide if a project involving an artificially created life form should be terminated - and the subject also), and interesting moral implications (is the lifeform truly a human?  when does that happen?  what rights does 'it' truly have), but too self aware and, dare I say it, pretentious for my tastes.  I tried to get through it, but it just became bogged down in the less than stellar implementation of the concept.-wraith808 (December 12, 2016, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I found it similar to Ex Machina ... I'm sure there'll be at least another 4 or 5 movies on the same premise in the pipeline since they'll all want to jump on the bandwagon.

Watched Spectral, kind of typical canned film with someone managing to create cutting edge weaponry from boxes of, essentially, a mish-mash of junk and working stuff that just 'happens' to be available.

IMDB storyline (which is, quite frankly, wrong - echoes of F.E.A.R.w anyone?):
A sci-fi/thriller story centered on a special-ops team that is dispatched to fight supernatural beings.
--- End quote ---

Let down by the inevitable "you can see how it's going to end" 10 minutes into the film, IMDB rating of 6.5 is way too high, probably just an indication of how low expectations are these days.

Still I found it quite an enjoyable lightweight movie that caused brain shutdown for awhile  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version