ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (2/182) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Obligatory joke:

We need a Schrodinger's Movie: That you have simultaneously seen and not seen!  :P

fenixproductions:
"Overtime" - stupid as hell but good enough to waste time on it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1930434/

Renegade:
Speilberg's Lincoln.
-40hz (March 28, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

That and "Zero Dark Thirty" are 2 on my "must not see" list.

To quote Mr. President Lincoln... ;)

From 4th Lincoln/Douglas Debate, 1858
 I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.
--- End quote ---

It gets worse. :P (Reference)

BTW - Was the movie remotely historically accurate?

40hz:
^I understand much of it was. Not that it mattered to me. I went to see it as a movie drama. Not to view it as a history lesson.

There are vastly better ways to learn about and study Lincoln and the American Civil War than from a 2 hour Spielberg film. And even then, historical significance and meaning will always be subject to interpretation. Even on those extremely rare occasions when all the facts surrounding a historic event are established and not subject to debate.

Like the DaVinci Code or JFK, Lincoln is only a movie.

Shades:
Two days ago I saw The Fairy. Normally I'm not into French art house movies, but as this one is from the French speaking part of Belgium so I could resist the urge to turn it off immediately. And I am glad I did.

The actors in the movie will not win any beauty prize (no, not even a '...., and all I got was this lousy t-shirt' constellation prize)...and there is not too much dialog, so most of the movie is just visual interpretation. But they were able to keep you positively engaged with the story. And it is actually funny in a lot of places.

It is definitely entertaining enough to recommend to the DC connoisseur.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version