ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (85/182) > >>

40hz:
I don't remember much about Smila other than that I watched the whole thing.
-MilesAhead (December 15, 2014, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bet if you think back you'll remember that controversial confrontational scene at her father's home between Smilla and her father's dancer-girlfriend (or maybe new child-bride?) Benja played by Emma Croft. When Benja gleefully informs Smilla: "I've called the police - and I told them you're here."

The way Smilla choose to add 'emphasis' to her warning: "Leave me alone, Benja. Leave me alone!" was one of the big takeaways from the movie. Everybody remembers that moment. :tellme:

MilesAhead:
@40hz your post about Smila reminded me of another foreign flick I saw.  The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

It was "covered" I guess you could say in English.  But the original flick wasn't hard to follow with the subs.  I didn't get to see the others in the series though.

40hz:
^I couldn't really get my head around that book or the movie. All of the characters seemed extremely weak (I can only take so much northern euro angst before I want to dope-smack somebody) or flat-out crazy. Maybe it's also because I had trouble with how the story seemed to present virtually every male as a sexual predator - or inferred they were a potential sexual predator. Must be rough if you're a woman living in Sweden if that's even partially true.

Or maybe that was just my take on it.

Not a single half-likeable character anywhere in it either. Something I think is very important in a movie since there's so little time to build enough backstory for a viewer to independently develop sympathy for a character without a little nudge from the director.

In truth, the characters in Dragon Tattoo seemed rather flat to me. Take the two main characters. Mikael is a frustrating study in blundering ineffectual dithering. Odd for someone who's supposed to be a crackerjack investigative news publisher. Lisbeth is completely over the top. To be expected considering the degree of damage she's endured. But the humanity is so crushed out of her, that there's little most people could ever hope to relate to. She has more in common with the absolute rage of a Greek fury than a victim who's learned to fight back. And because of that she comes across as very one-dimensional. And it was also very hard for me to buy into her uber-hacker prowess. But in fairness, I have the same problem with virtually any hacker character you'll meet in a movie. Maybe knowing something about how hacking really works has spoiled it all for me. "So it goes."

I dunno. It was a well made movie to be sure. But something about it just left me feeling cold and detached from it all. Others may see it differently.
 :)

Renegade:
^ There are movies and TV shows where I keep hoping to see each and every character's throat slit with a nice, sharp serrated blade. Clean through to decapitation. So that I can friggin' cheer. Because they're so friggin' annoying.

It's horrible when the whole time you're watching, you're also screaming in your head, "PLEASE JUST F***ING DIE ALREADY!!!" About the main characters.

I'm thinking I'll skip the dragon girl whatever flick.

Besides, I can't stand reading captions any more. Did that for over a decade. No longer fun.

Vurbal:
BTW - Am I the only one here who wasn't impressed by Equilibrium?
-40hz (December 14, 2014, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've tried watching it 3 times now, and haven't made more than half an hour in before the IMO entirely paradoxical setting made me turn it off. It's well produced, and skillfully acted, but entirely too silly for me to ignore its major flaws. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, not hang it by the neck until it's dead.

The other night I watched a movie that's sort of the opposite of that, called Radio Free Albemuth. It's an adaptation of the posthumously published Phillip K Dick book of the same name. I say book, rather than novel, since the story is clearly part pure fiction and part autobiographical stream of consciousness from Dick's famously mentally ill and drug addled mind.

It's an extremely low budget production and, frankly, poorly directed. Despite that, I found it extremely compelling, and not just because it makes Phillip K Dick look like a god damn profit in light of certain aspects of modern society.

Well, except for...Admittedly, it was a little hard not to giggle every time someone referred to the secret police as fappers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version