ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (71/182) > >>

40hz:
One of my favorite things about Elementary are the fact that they were not afraid to take certain parts of the mythology, and completely turn them on their head.  And I love the primary actors.

-wraith808 (August 26, 2014, 02:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't get me wrong. I very much like Lucy Liu. But most of the turn-on-its-head "twists" (can it still be a "twist" if dozens have proposed them all before in various essays and fanfics starting back in the 70s?) don't really add much IMHO. They're just 'different.' Much like the newer "alternate universe" StarTrek movies - they're mainly different for the sake of being different.

I suppose it gets the writers out of having to come up with something original within (that's the hard part) the established framework and story universe. But to my mind, it's sorta cheating. Like entering some blank verse in a sonnet writing contest.

Now...if Elementary had been structured as a completely original sleuth series without all the Sherlock Holmes references, I think I might have enjoyed it. But all those labored Holmes allusions just hit me as contrived, and ultimately, more distracting than intriguing or entertaining.

But that's me. And as I said, I know fellow Baker Street Irregulars that positively love the Elementary series. So what do I know? ;D

wraith808:
But that's me. And as I said, I know fellow Baker Street Irregulars that positively love the Elementary series. So what do I know?
-40hz (August 26, 2014, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

The world is full of people with just as many varied tastes, preferences, and likes.  It's good that there's so much for people to varyingly like and not.  :Thmbsup:

nosh:
Watched the first few episodes of Extant (Halle Berry) - seems very formulaic, very boring and
The Strain (vampire series with heavy Guillermo del Toro involvement) - the creatures are insect-like and creepy but the storyline here doesn't intrigue me either... had high expectations of this one. :(

I'm about to try "Sons of Anarchy" - seems to have a mature theme and a solid IMDB rating.

wraith808:
I've been watching The Last Ship, and I really like it!  Also, I watched Dominion, which had its season finale, and really enjoyed it.  Defiance has also been good this season.

Shades:
The Strain: episodes 1 & 2 and 3 woke/kept my interest, 4 and 5 not so much...but 6 is getting better again. I'll keep watching this one.
The Last Ship: I'm with Wraith on this one, much more entertaining than I originally anticipated.
Dominion: great concept, good production values...but the main actors don't bring 'it' for me.
Under the Dome: waste of time. There should not be a season 3.
Falling Skies: at its usual strength. The professor should do a new: The Librarian movie again. I always found those entertaining 1, 2, 3.
Defiance: season 2 is indeed better than the 1st one. I liked Julie Benz in Dexter, I like her much more in Defiance.
The Knick: interesting one about a New York hospital around 1920, where Clive Owen is finding the proper operation procedures we take for granted nowadays.
The Leftovers: weird one from the creative minds behind Lost. 2% of the global population disappears without any trace at the same time and we get to watch how the ones that stayed behind deal with this.

I recently finished an oldie but goodie: Legend of the Seeker (only two seasons) don't let the first appearances trick you into thinking that it is intended for pre-teens. The producers from series as Spartacus, Hercules and Xena were behind it. A lot of actors play in Legend of the Seeker and Spartacus. Legend of the Seeker is much more suggestive and uses dominatrices, while Spartacus is brutal gore and nudity. Fight scenes in both series are well done. Production values from Spartacus were better, story-wise the advantage would go to Legend of the Seeker.

As a fan of D&D I can't help but think that the story of Legend of the Seeker would translate in an awesome D&D campaign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version