ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ad Industry Attacks Firefox

<< < (4/7) > >>

Innuendo:
Wait, wait, wait...I have to circle back to what the ad industry spokesman said. Am I misunderstanding or is he stating that blocking ads causes us to lose our online privacy?

Upon reading his statement I immediately thought of the speeches the RIAA drones give on every music award show.

IainB:
Wait, wait, wait...I have to circle back to what the ad industry spokesman said. Am I misunderstanding or is he stating that blocking ads causes us to lose our online privacy?
Upon reading his statement I immediately thought of the speeches the RIAA drones give on every music award show.
-Innuendo (September 26, 2015, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you seem to have nailed the logical structure of it correctly, right there, but you have to realise that it was said at an earlier time (in 2013, I think) when the lunar gravitational pull was inexplicably abnormally high, such that it was causing the development of tics, or "lunar tics" as they were called at the time. The spokesperson who is quoted has moved on and is now President of the TATWD Society (Turtles All The Way Down) and Chief Scientific Advisor on the White House Climate Change Policy Advisory Sub-Committee on Astral Turtles, or something.   :o

ilikefree09:
One of the first things I do when I put Firefox on peoples computers is block third party cookies
Next I install Better Privacy
Then install add-ons like Adblock plus, Ghostry, HTTPS Everywhere
I see almost no adverts

IainB:
@ilikefree09: Yep, same here. No doubt Danielle Dixon-Fire will be able to show us a far, far better path though.

TaoPhoenix:
Okay, this is not "Devil's Advocate" because I think she is *partly* right. And I think we're at risk here of "glossing over her well tuned language". I'm just gonna put stuff in quotes because I don't feel like scissoring parts of the original.

1. To begin this discussion with respect, *spell her name correctly*. (I like to joke it was 5% of my old job because I have an eye towards these things.) Its *Denelle*. Not "Danielle". And then the last part of you calling her "Dixon-Fire" is just ad hominem.

2. "An issue needing more balance is user data. The collection and use of data is not inherently harmful. It helps with powering personalized features, keeping products up to date, providing user support and improving the ways products work. Providing user value through data collection is a healthy and necessary way to help create compelling experiences. However, when data is collected without providing the user with value or control, and the value exchange becomes opaque, confusion sets in. Then users start to mistrust the entire system—including the good actors.

We are trying to get to the root of the problem – but not just through research. We are also working to develop products, features and engagement supporting a great user experience and commercial sustainability."

This is very nearly completely correct!
:tellme:

What is happening right now is the data *is* being collected *without value or control*. So she's right! So what happens if we somehow developed turbo control for us, to "value the shit out of what we want"!? (To use the phrase from Matt Damon's character in The Martian).

And paraphrasing elsewhere, "Why are users using blunt instruments?" - Because we didn't give them a scalpel! What if the browser started with (in a special particular edition) hardcoded forced zero ads (as best they can, companies are starting to slip by with javascript pushed ones into new pages and stuff).

Then *at our discretion* one by one, there is a button on the top that says "I'm bored. Show me a dropdown list of ads available for this page." (Or other menu, your choice of UI but that's a quibble.)

So then you get a list and you go "Pampers, skip. Target, skip. Cheerios developed new tech to make their Cheerios certified Gluten Free ... ooh, that's interesting! Sure! Show me that ad!"

Then Cheerios gets notice back that you viewed their ad of your will, and I bet if anyone did a study on this "info retention about the product" will be higher. I know it is for me - I can paraphrase almost 75% of their related announcements on that topic right now. (And I like Cheerios anyway!)

So holy hell, FF used to be the brand you could fork, PaleMoon seems to be the only strong fork of it left (For 32 bit Windows?, there are some others on Linux etc.) So what would THAT feature look like? THAT could create a tremendous new thread because then people can go *seek out* new ads and some of them would go viral!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version