ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

VPN Gate - Univ. of Tsukuba launches Academic Experimental [Crowd] Project.

<< < (3/5) > >>

464codemeright:
Just in case your access to the main site is blocked, here is a special page with the VPN Gate Mirror list and Direct OpenVPN config downloads.

The mirror list is updated hourly, along with the live list of ovpn files.  Just download and import to your OpenVPN software.

Those South Korean servers are fast!  Not much latency compared to the North  American servers.  Good speeds through Japan too...

IainB:
...Those South Korean servers are fast!  Not much latency compared to the North  American servers.  Good speeds through Japan too...
-464codemeright (June 19, 2013, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, they usually seem to be blazingly fast. Making a connection is fast as well, and if the connection is dropped (e.g., if I put my laptop to "Sleep" mode and then later wake it up), it usually auto-connects to the VPN node in double-quick time. Very nice.   :up:

IainB:
Found an informative website here: https://www.grc.com/default.htm (it's the SpinRite home page)
 - it does a "reverse DNS" check on your IP address, and can inspect characteristics of your router (e.g., if is has UPnP enabled). However, if you are operating via a VPN, then all it sees is the VPN node and its characteristics.
These things could be important to the cyber criminals out there (cough, cough).
(By the way, this is not an endorsement of SpinRite, which some pundits on this forum and elsewhere seem to think has a rather dubious history.)

IainB:
"SUSPICION!" (from the song of the same name).
As a trial, I've been using VPN Gate on and off for a few months. For probably most of the time it sits passively in my Systray (executable is vpnclient_x64.exe).
However, MBAM (the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware proggy that I use) regularly reports it as being blocked whilst trying to communicate with a dodgy IT address - 80.82.64.193 (Type: outgoing, Port: 57126, Process: vpnclient_x64.exe)

I did a WHOIS via http://ipaddress.is/80.82.64.193 on this IP address, which returned this information (and more):
IP Address 80.82.64.193 Profile
A detailed IP address report for 80.82.64.193 is below. The timezone of 80.82.64.193 is Europe/Amsterdam. The current local time of 80.82.64.193 is Friday 27th of September 2013 03:08:36 AM.
IP Address Location Information For 80.82.64.193
IP Address   80.82.64.193
Host   dea.anonymouse.me
Country   Netherlands
ISP   Eyes4media GmbH
Organization   AS29073, Ecatel LTD
Latitude   52°30'00" N
Longitude   5°45'00" E

--- End quote ---

That looks like it is probably one of the "anonymous" VPN Gate network nodes, but I would like to find out more about why MBAM blocks it and why it (in Holland) is a main node for my client in the VPN Gate network - which I thought was Japan-based.
I just wonder whether there might be an NSA connection sucking on the end of that IP address...

I am relatively ignorant. This isn't an area of expertise for me at all. Anyone know how I might be able to ferret out more information about this?    :tellme:

TaoPhoenix:
Yes, it seems safe (so far). I have been using it on and off over the last 24 hrs. anyway.

But wait! What's this popup demanding a credit card payment!?
(Only joking.)    ;)

Rather than join a committee, my preference would be to post here my experiences with this project, and read about other users' experiences posted here. We could all potentially learn from pooling our experiences this way. For example, I learned something from the post above by @pilgrim-online.
-IainB (March 25, 2013, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hehe that one is easy Iain.

"Anyone posting into this thread becomes part of the committee. Not all members of the committee are obligated to do things" : )

My contribution: does their webpage get kicked by Ghostery/other for any trackers?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version