ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

VPN Gate - Univ. of Tsukuba launches Academic Experimental [Crowd] Project.

<< < (2/5) > >>

IainB:
Yes, it seems safe (so far). I have been using it on and off over the last 24 hrs. anyway.

But wait! What's this popup demanding a credit card payment!?
(Only joking.)    ;)

Rather than join a committee, my preference would be to post here my experiences with this project, and read about other users' experiences posted here. We could all potentially learn from pooling our experiences this way. For example, I learned something from the post above by @pilgrim-online.

40hz:
Just gave it a try over the last hour or so. It's rather impressive. Just confirmed I can watch BBC (which is about all I would want it for) so I'm happy.

Next step is to see if I can use it under Linux.

kyrathaba:
may look into this tomorrow

pilgrim:
Next step is to see if I can use it under Linux.-40hz (March 25, 2013, 09:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are instructions for using OpenVPN on Linux HERE.
I am not sure how you would use the configuration files as I have only ever used OpenVPN on Windows with software from the providers that has their configuration built in.

The fact that these people offer different configuration files for different servers makes me think that you should be able to use them without their own client software with a download from HERE but I do not have the time to test this at the moment.

40hz:
^I'm fairly familiar with OpenVPN on Linux so I tried a few quick attempts last night. No joy I'm afraid. Either with OpenVPN or L2TP. Probably just me forgetting to change a default encryption or timing setting. That or it's just some weirdness with the distro I tried it with. Some repositories leave a lot to be desired when it comes to their network and security package selections. I'll have to look at VPNGate's supplied script more closely to see whats up.

i'll try again tonite if I feel like messing with it. Right now it's running on a Windows "sacrifice box" where I'd probably prefer to keep it anyway. So it's only my Linux-geek bloodymindedness that's providing the motivation to get it to play nice with Tux. Which it should. VPNs are pretty much VPNs.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version